Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

King Tiger Tank

XIII
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
XIII polycounter lvl 7
Hello all,

I hope you don't mind me posting. I've been 3D modelling for a while now and currently at Uni. I wouldn't mind some feedback on this tank I've built. I know it isn't amazing, but any comments would be greatfull.

Render1.jpg
Render2.jpg
Render3.jpg
Render35.jpg
Render4.jpg
Render5.jpg
Render6.jpg

There are are few things that could have been improved on.

The livery was based on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KingTigerBovington.jpg

Cheers,
Mikle

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man, not bad really. My opinion on what to improve:

-The highpoly is a bit sharp, some bigger bevels on the big armor plats would've helped slightly.
    -You presentation isn't very good, I'd prefer to see those images you comped together separately. Also Don't render game-art, just use a shader, it'll probably look much better with some tweaking. If you put it in Unreal, I wouldn't use Epic's levels. Just comes across as if you couldn't be bothered to set up proper lighting or anything.
    The diffuse could be a lot more interesting. Check out Vlad Dergachov's Tiger; http://www.matroskinworks.com/3d_kingtiger.html
    He's used Zimmerit coating as a smart way to break up those huge surfaces.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Hello,

Looks great! As you said there are a few things that could be improved.
    But the overall is great
    In my opinion the specular map looks a bit flat and shiny. Maybe some tweek on the texture or just some adjustment on the shader an helps.
    Can you show your texture maps?
  • XIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XIII polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you for the comments!

I was going to add Zimmerit, however I thought again as i thought it may not come out too well. There wasn't a lot of space on the texture map. In my opinion anyway.

I thought I did post the texture maps. But I hadn't. here they are:

Main1.jpg
    Specular
    Spec.jpg
    Normal
    Main1LowPolyNormalsMap.jpg

Cheers,
    Mike
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    That specular looks pretty bright, my suggestion is to turn it down alot. Tanks were matte and people didnt want them to shine and give away their position. Also another grunge layer would be nice.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Youre UV's are pretty good, you've actually got higher desnity than Vlad's tank.
    Specular looks pretty undefined, could do with more thought-out contrast.