Home General Discussion

Seperate portfolios?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
lefix polycounter lvl 11
For the past 2 months I have been trying to find a new job in the games industry, but didn't have any success yet. I am now at a point where I am kind of forced to look into other fields like commercials/film, archviz, even advertising or webdesign - whatever pays the bills.
My portfolio however is very tailored towards games. So I am wondering if I should build a seperate portfolio to apply in other fields, or add more stuff/sections to my current portfolio.
I have always been under the impression that it is best to have a portfolio 100% trailer towards the job you are applying for. But of course, that is hardly possible for every application. And in some cases, the skills you have in other areas might even make you more valueable for employers, too.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Does anyone maintain seperate portfolios?

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think having a seperate page for archviz, web design, etc..is fine.. Ive seen a few other people do that.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    lefix wrote: »
    Has anyone been in a similar situation? Does anyone maintain seperate portfolios?

I do. There's a little bit of overlap where I add a couple 2D in my 3d folio and vice versa. So far it has worked for me when securing freelance gigs, even once for a non-cg/art job.

As far as cost, you can just pay for a proper domain (or a few) and use a free host (use a bare bones template if you don't know css, etc.) to showcase your stuff.

My personal philosophy with folio-for-work is not to overwhelm people. Short n sweet, lean n mean. :)

If you must have an all-in-one folio ("for the ladeyz"), sure you can still make one up or deviantart it. You could bring it's existence up in a job interview.

"But wait! There's More! I have babysitting experience!" (no joke, I recently saw a new grad's linkedin specifically stating that babysitting experience).

ONe last tip: test your folio(s) in your smartphones/iPad/slates. You may need to fatten some link headers or tweak navigation and art locations.

Good luck.