Thompson M1A1

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
Hey PolyCounters

11,000 Triangles
2048 Diffuse, Spec, Normal
Rendered in Marmoset

I was wondering if 11K tris is too much? I ended up beveling the majority of edges and used 24 sided cylinders (at the highest) for switches/barrel. I did not make a high poly for this model and wasn't planning on using normal maps so I figured I could go a tad bit higher in polycount.

However! I decided I wanted a normal map after seeing it put together in marmoset. So my normals only influence Text, wood grain, some subtle bump/dents, and hand drawn seams/breaks between parts or materials, and were created via xnormal plugin for PS height to normals. Now I feel like I'm being wasteful and my beveled edges could've been handled by the normal map. What do you guys think? Should I use this model with a few tweaks for my High Poly and then clean up topology for baking for a new low poly with maybe half the tri count in the end? Whats a good tri count for an FPS game? And would my current tri count be acceptable, with memory usage if I didn't use a normal map?

Also any critique on texture work would be appreciated!
Thanks!

CilsI.jpg
3ryfm.jpg

Replies

• Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    That's a LOT of triangles, if you use a normal map you can cut like half of those away.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    yes I would say 11k tris is a lot for a thompson.

Its usually a bad sign when your edges form a solid color when you switch to wireframe mode.

all the circular buttons/bolts on the receiver have about 2x more edges than they would require Also I'd just get rid of the holes in the magazine and do that in the texture.. theres got to be at nearly 2000 polys there just for the holes.

also there are some places where you could have used more efficient topology to save tri's.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, i had a very strong feeling 11K was too much. Anyway thanks for the confirmations. I know what I have to do to get the tri count about cut in half. Just like you said Olli.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Its too much you could have the same detail with 3-4k tris you should keep all the details that dont influence the shape of a gun inside normal map.You need to learn how to do better topology as you have unnecesary edge loops on finger guard and on most of the gun it looks like you are using your h-poly base mesh as the low poly one.

Ps writing from the phone so except grammatical errors.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Hey dude use this tip to reduce geometry while retaining some curvature.
    jD4dEQgfAw8QL.jpg
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the critiques. As I said I thought 11k was too much originally. I ended up making the 11k model a bit more high poly and using that to bake normals. So it's down to 5,500 tris now. Here are the final renders in Marmoset. Wireframe and Textures can be seen on my website here: http://clarkcoots.com/thompsonM1A1.html

Thanks for looking and the comments!

c2W2T.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    You got normal map seams right up in my grill man! You should really try and avoid putting structure-less noise all over your texture, the gun just looks busy all over and kinda muted.
  • Dnna1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to, I've slowly like these, happy

to join you.www.cleaningcassette.com