Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Simple Handpainted Crate

I'd never really done any stylised hand painted textures. Looked like fun, I buckled and well....you can never have too many crates.

Definitely room for improvement - any crits you have would be awesome.

crate.jpg

Thanks!

Mpeadon.com

Replies

• Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Hmmm...For the wood grain, you don't really seem to have grain consistency. I'm working on a project right now with handpainted wood and I didnt look at reference. I looked at ref, and realized I had it all wrong. For your wood grain, your cracks dont make too much sense and would be used more for stone.

I've been using this image for reference:
    vista-wallpaper-knot-in-the-wood.jpg

See how the grain reacts around the knot? It's like having a boulder in a river and the current travels around.

First I would figure out the grain direction, and then I would add some knots, and then adjust the grain so it travels around.

Your painting skills are awesome! However your colour is very monotone and boring. Once again, I had this exact same problem, before a classmate reminded me about warm and cool colours. Add a slight tinge of blue in the ambient occlusion, and play around with more colour variety (ie, have some planks that are a bit redder, some that are grayer, etc. Just so it adds life and story to it)

Hope that helps :)
  • kwark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screenshot1.jpg

Havent fixed the grain yet. But played around with some of the colours and such in my spare time.

I _Always_ have that problem with my paintings - always monochromatic...kinda feel like a cheat adding extra colour in afterwards, but there you go. I guess its just experience.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    As a start, it was definitely a good first try at it... I know the growing pains all to well, I am currently learning and practicing the art of hand painting textures, its hard to get the feel of it, but when you establish your own style and workflow for it, it starts to come naturally. And yeah, the key is to use a reference and pick out the larger, more visible pieces instead of focusing on the details first. As for adding color later, that's totally acceptable man, like I said... You just have to establish your own style, when it comes to textures, if it comes out as an original piece and it meets your and your teams' expectations, that is all that matters! Everyone has their own way of doing things! And this sort of practice of hand painting textures comes with time, so keep at it! This looks great as a start man! :) Keep it up for sure