Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly Ship Models - Advice Needed

So I'm pretty new to the forums, and I guess I'm new to the modelling/animating scene adding to that as I've only made a select few things that were required for my college course (House model, table, chairs, window shelves, that kind of thing) And to finish that course and hopefully get an A, and move on to next year I need to make a game, the concept of the game is simple, a small racing game set in space with nods similar to, but not actually Wipeout.

I need to create at least 8 of these ships, I don't need to texture them but I would like to seeing as it would add more depth to the game.(considering it's written in DarkGDK I'll need it)

As I said I'm new to it, and therefore aren't particularly stellar at modelling, specifically lowpoly. (my lecturer has an unhealthy obsession with the turbosmooth option in 3DS Max)

And so I'm uploading a few screenshots of the current ship i'm working in in hopes that anyone can help point me in the right direction in the way of texturing and actually brushing up the model itself.

The software products I'm using are 3DS Max(student) and GIMP for textures, if those points are relevant.

S1SC1.png

S1SC2.png

S1SC3.png

This is the second ever ship model I've made, the first one being attempted with symmetry off and was a complete monstrosity, but I'd really like to know how I could improve it.

Any and all feedback is a great help as I need to find what I'm doing wrong early and hit it in the bud.

Cheers in advance.

Replies

• Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I think it's got a pretty good shape.

Only have tris that are needed for the silhouette. The engines have a ton of little polys that won't be seen easily in game anyway, you can just do that detail on the texture. (poly density: try to keep the whole model fairly close to same detail level when you can)
    Four simple cubes is all that really requires.

Along the tops of the wings you have an extra row of verts you don't need, etc...

If it doesn't add to shape get rid of it.

An exception would be if you want to mirror the texture you could have a row of verts splitting it in half (they might not add to shape but make it easy to have a smaller texture).