Home Unreal Engine

UDK modular wall masking set: normal/geometry shading error.

Hi guys, my name is Oli, I'm making a set of four modular walls from a masking technique so that I only need to use one texture.

I generated the normals, made two sets of UV's (one for the details, the other for the surface property) separated the out my mask layers into the color channels and alpha, loaded it in UDK and set up the material.

As soon as I connect the normals in I get this strange shading error around some of my isolated details that outlines the edge area of the geometry and UV's.

I'm a bit at ends as to whether its actually the geometry or the normals, or something I've missed, I've tried changing the edge flow so they are all going the same way. I've tried a variation of soft and hard edges on the UV edges to see if that makes a difference, but the transition still gives me these hard edges, so I looked at the normals transition across the surfaces between my details, flattened them all out, still get the same problem.

Can someone tell me if I'm missing something, because it only happens when I plug in the normals.

Thank you for your time, any help anybody can offer me would be much appreciated.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8010/6969520504_e7204d18aa_b.jpg

6969520504_e7204d18aa_b.jpg

Replies

• Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    I'm having difficulty noticing what the shading error is from the picture. If its the edges of your mesh though which you mentioned then it might be your vertex normals? Just a guess.