Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hell Reaver

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
MoleTheMan polycounter lvl 6
well this was a quick and short project i wanted to do it for a while and just did it xD its not the best but i only had a short amount of time to put work into it but im happy atm with the way it came out and later will go back and just do it from scratch to see how much i improve

Reference sheet
conceptsheet.jpg

the wire frames
wireframes.jpg

sword with diff/spec/nrmls
swordx.jpg

base with diff/spec/nrmls
rockf.jpg

both together with diff/spec/nrmls
finalik.jpg

and a rendered shot i went ahead and did in MR
hellreaver4.jpg

ill probably go ahead and throw it into UDK tomorrow to see how it looks

Replies

• sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is pretty sweet. Would like to see some closeups and maybe some uv layouts. The rock looks a bit dull. Maybe beef up those little volcanic fiery lines. Other than that, this looks pretty good. Was my favorite weapon back in the day when first getting to the outlands.
  • michaelmilette
    the rock looks like it doesn't have a spec map on it? also it looks like the sword is glowing if it is there should be some sort of highlight on the rock it is stuck in suggesting this because right now there seems to be no interaction between the rock and the sword in terms of lighting right now.

Also IMO the wooden handle/stalk seems very slender in comparison to the size of the sword.
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    @Michaelmilette the reason it looks slender to you is because it's actually a polearm not a sword, the blade is just extra big, it is after all a wow weapon

Hellreaver10.jpg

Anyways for crits echoing what's already been said I think the rock could use another pass. It's a little too boring. I agree with with Sipher3325 some fiery lines along the surface could be fun. At the very least thought I'd add some darker shadows and brighter highlights (or a spec map) to is to push the form like in the reference image.

Texture flats would be great to see

the model looks good, only really glaring wasted geo I see is that line running down the center of the flat of the blade you could probably terminate it into a tri early on unless it's there to cut things in half to save UV space (which it doesn't appear to be) Also I don't know what use there is for the horizontal loops on the handle and wrap.

Also might be fun to try and get a glow going on it too.
  • MoleTheMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the crits, and i now see the problem with the rock base. the spec map on the rock is actually the red "dots" you see on it and it is making it a bit bland. ill try and go back and paint up another spec for it

and i do see where you are saying about the unneeded splits in some of the geo that could be rid of and still hold up.

my texture maps are a bit horrible not optimized at all there is three atm one for the sword and one "triangle" spike.one for the metal squares and the different triangle spikes on the blade and the wood pole and handle part, and the last is just the rock. i could have just used one sheet for the whole sword but it was a thing that i just totally zoned on

and i do have a glow map on it that only shows in the render atm and i was going to throw it in UDK and try and get it working with the glow in there to see it a bit better

ill post my textures maps when i get back home
  • MoleTheMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    texture sheets

they aren't the best and waste alot of space now that im looking at them buuuut it gave me the desired look lol xD and i have bin testing out some different specs on the rock and not really liking them atm, maybe its just my overall texture of the rock

i cant really put more time into this one im actually making a weapon in the class im currently taking atm and ill be posting some of my progress on that and hopefully that process will strengthen my skills and i can revisit this project with a remake of it

extrajk.jpg
    extra1y.jpg
    extra2r.jpg