Home Unity

area vs spot lights

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
bugo polycounter lvl 17
Is it just me or the Area lights are 10x stronger than the spot lights? I'm trying to get a spot to show, but I'm having to force the intensity of it to 8 (which is max) to show anything. I wouldn't like to put distance falloff farther or it can cross boundaries.

Someone have any clue what can I do about these spot lights?

Replies

• Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Unity spot light attenuation is range-dependant, and vaguely quadratic. So if set to a mystical range property, it'll behave exactly like a point light in Maya set to quadratic.

You can write your own attenuation:
    http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Components/SL-Attenuation.html
    But it'll NOT work with Deferred Rendering (default is hardcoded into DR like the blinn-phong model).

If you're after just one spot, then try some spotlights, they can be aimed and can use a cookie if you're up for some god-teir cheezing of GI on the floor (render AO on the floor (planar mapped) to a texture, assign texture to cookie in spot light, aim spotlight at floor from way up above, ???, incur wrath of many, many artists).
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Right, right, as for the last thing, everybody does that, I guess... I do.

But wow, thanks for the documentation link, I'll check it out. It's weird that the default is quadratic, shouldn't it be linear? I'm glad it can be changed tho. THANKS!
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Well ideally it'd have an attenuation (light falloff) texture option like Cryengine3 (latest version) where you can control the falloff.

If you can post a pic of the area you're working on maybe I could offer a different way of doing it.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    It's actually general, not a certain area.
    But yeah, a falloff texture would be a great feature.
    I am only looking for baking purposes, not dynamic/realtime.