Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Throne room WIP/working thread (UDK, large pictures)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Simmo polycounter lvl 12
Hey all.

Been a while since I've posted anything here. Moving to another country and life stuff has kept me from doing game art, but now I'm back and more eager than ever. Anyway

FIRST, pictures. Then text (if you don't read that: heavily WIP, nothing is final, lots more to add, and critiques or suggestions of any sort are very appreciated :)

OuNYi.jpg

cboBO.jpg

d5KAd.jpg

gCE3I.jpg

EgT6k.jpg

Lighting is just default, I hope it's not too dark though. Nothing is final, least of all the lighting :p

Never done a non-sci-fi environment before, and this is my first time using zbrush to make assets with too. Everything here so far is just using two tiling texture sheets and things like the floor are going to end up having its own texture eventually, and of course the throne itself is just a blockout.

I plan to add banners, torches, stained or just glass windows, maybe a carpet leading up to the throne. Also maybe an outdoor balcony overlooking the ocean, or something like that. I'm totally open to any crits or suggestions!

Thanks for looking. I hope you enjoy watching me progress, and expect to see updates frequently. :)

Cheers

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    looking cool man. Although, your scale is kind of weird, i think it's because your columns are like 1/2 shorter than they should?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    yeah double the column height, it'd work a lot better.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Alberto Rdrgz, ZacD: Thanks for the feedback! I went and made an extension of the exsisting pillars. I hope this is what you meant. What do you think? It definitely looks better, more solid.

7opkW.jpg

amile duan: Thanks! :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's still the same? i was referring to the actual column (the one under the arch)

hmmm, just do this, Lower the ground a couple feet or so. that's the height you need.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I actually preferred the other design myself, however, what they meant was that you need to raise the roof higher up and extend the pillars to match it. The room looks cramped right now. Maybe even need to be wider, it's a throne room. You'd expect there to be some partying going on with awesome dinners. ^^

But really nice work! :)
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    Looking nice, the only thing that really jumps out at me at this stage is I think the AO is a little too black in the cracks. I would lighten it up slightly and give it a color that fits with the brick and not completely black.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Alberto: Sorry, it was a misunderstanding on my part, what i get for staying up instead of going to sleep, hehe.

chris: Thanks, I do too, so I went back to it when I actually raised the ceiling. :) Thanks for the clarification, it seemed obvious to me this morning!

tim: Thanks for the feedback, I lessened the AO on the diffuse, and made the colours cool instead of warm. The yellow tinge gave it a sandy, almost Egyptian look which isn't what I'm going for. I think it looks better and the yellow sunlight contrasts it better.

U9UvC.jpg

yHYdo.jpg

hj3u2.jpg

brraH.jpg

Thanks again guys, and it looks so much better this way. I wasn't sure before, so I'm glad I posted here so early on :) Time to get some colour in there!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    My only complaint is the circular stairs. I don't know exactly what it is about them but they just look out of place and awkward. Maybe rework them somehow.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    BARDLER: Hm, could it be the texture? I was thinking I might make step textures later, I used the stones because they were available. But I personally think it's a cool shape, at least for now. We'll see as the scene progresses. Maybe making them similar to the shape of the concave wall part, semi-circular then straight, instead of circular would be better?

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback, keep em coming!! :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    already looking better dude! some set dressing and this could be really sweet!

i'll keep an eye on this!

EDIT:
    i think you might want to think about the length of the level since you added so much height to it. it suffer from feeling a bit too narrow?
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this man. This is going to turn out great. I too liked the first one better but they both look good imo.
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Do you play Mount and Blade by any chance? :) But in all seriousness this scene is looking great scale is feeling good too. Right now I imagine this being more of a fort throne room than a castle. Maybe just widening it a bit would give it that really grand scale. But its coming along awesome. Cant wait to see more.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good!Only thing that bothers me are circular stairs they look like a base on top of which water well sits I would make them a bit wider and more blockish and then just chamfer the corners so they fit in design.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Hardly an update, but just testing the look of hanging banners. I'm not sure:

G37bL.jpg

I think I'll ditch that idea for now, or at-least just have banners on the walls at each end of the room (of course with proper textures and a design etc) Thoughts?

Tomorrow I'm going to work on some kind of chandelier.

Thanks for the comments and crits everyone, really appreciate them! :) I'll play with the stairs too.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Heck yes! Now we're talking! :D LET THE FEAST BEGIN!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Simmo wrote: »
    BARDLER: Hm, could it be the texture? I was thinking I might make step textures later, I used the stones because they were available. But I personally think it's a cool shape, at least for now. We'll see as the scene progresses. Maybe making them similar to the shape of the concave wall part, semi-circular then straight, instead of circular would be better?

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback, keep em coming!! :)

Maybe a half circle would look better?
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Hey all, finally got time to work on this and made a chandelier. Tried out new lighting too, just to see how it feels. Once I get some glass in the windows it will be easier to play around with lighting :) Candle flames are placeholders

dG0NE.jpg

XUIiV.jpg

Removed banners for now. I might put some torches in the side chambers next now that I'm working on the metal pieces. Perhaps some next to the throne, although I don't want to make the scene too bright and loose its nice contrast!

Any thoughts?

As for the steps, I think I will re-work them later on. A semi circle could work, now that I look it more and more. Thanks Bardler

And thanks for all the feedback everyone else! :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looking good... still too much AO in the bricks though...and possibly too much blue in the diffuse too.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Some progress. I lightened the AO in the textures some more, made a few props and of course working on the lighting a little more :)

ibsQNjGMdeHC8A.png

iQsXoLIMzV3E7.png

iuBZXjbfDZ3cq.png

ibmnPfJpzKVV9A.png

(The torch flame particle system is a modified version of a stock UDK one)

Still to come is glass for the windows, gonna try again on the hanging banners, just for the end walls. Maybe small chandeliers for the side halls. Stairs still need revisiting, I haven't forgotten :p, and of course the throne.

Also, shield colours are not final, so any suggestions or crits are welcome. That goes for the whole scene!

Thanks for looking :)