Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Josh Michael Tyler, Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone, this is my first post so I figured I would make it my portfolio site.
All criticism and advice is 100% welcome. Tear me down so I can build myself up.

http://www.threefirstnames.com

Replies

• Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    I feel like you should make the thumbnails bigger maybe only 1 or 2 per row. Also change the background to something simpler like some gradient. It pulls your focus away from the art to the background.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    I actually like the background. But yea, a gradient might work better. I think I just like the color. And I like the font you used.

The 1930's Speakeasy, maybe you wanted it that way but the barrels look really tiny. Compare them to the other objects in your scene. Next to the table.

The first thumbnail for Sci-Fi Garage doesn't work. Can't click on it. Not in your blogspot either.

That vehicle you did is SO badass! Love it. You might want to see how far you can reduce the poly count down. Studios working on mobile games would snatch something like that up in a heartbeat. Try knocking a few thousand tris off. See if you can keep it looking that good. And then show off both.

The Sword in the Stone one kind of just looks like filler. Actually, the Sword looks way better by itself than it does in your first two renders. Consider re-lighting that scene. I don't know what you did there, with the glow but.. it's not working for me.

Again dude, the vehicle is awesome. Do more of those. Ever think of being a hard surface modeler?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    couple bugs:

If you click your name, it goes to a blank version of your page

Scrolling has low framerate, probably from the fixed background, but possibly due to all the other useless features (like the share button)

Sci-Fi Garage, first thumb doesn't link to full size image

Other stuff

Lots of wasted space in the top banner, it's damn near half the page

Probably want to put your name, contact and/or portfolio url on your images

Thumbnails are pretty small

Dates on posts is wasted space, since they are all the same and don't matter.
  • joshmtyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a million, guys. The site I'm using (flavors.me) is, well, limited. So for the header, I'm kind of just stuck with it. While I agree with how gradients can look as a background, they are pretty sketch when it comes to web colors.
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A option is to use www.weebly.com. You could transfer your custom domain name over, you pick from predetermined themes, but you can control the size of your header, and it wouldn't take that much work to transfer over your images. Their system is all drag and drop.
  • joshmtyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samcole wrote: »
    A option is to use www.weebly.com. You could transfer your custom domain name over, you pick from predetermined themes, but you can control the size of your header, and it wouldn't take that much work to transfer over your images. Their system is all drag and drop.

I know weebly, but flavors.me was only $20 for an entire year. I was a broke college student when I set it up, and now I'm an even more broke, unemployed, graduate. XD
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weebly is still free. The only thing that I'm paying for right now is my domain name. I'd still look into it if you can transfer it without incurring extra fees. Don't see why not...but I could be wrong.
  • joshmtyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot samcole, I'll look into seeing what I can do. But in these short minutes I've completely changed the layout to better suit what everyone has said.
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I think this should help you if you havent read it
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryPortfolio
  • joshmtyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I think this should help you if you havent read it
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryPortfolio

Hey man! Thanks a lot! At first glance, I totally thought you were going to be a dick post some rules that I broke by posting this. HAHAHA!
    No, but in all seriousness. Thanks for the link. Much appreciated.
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshmtyler wrote: »
    Hey man! Thanks a lot! At first glance, I totally thought you were going to be a dick post some rules that I broke by posting this. HAHAHA!
    No, but in all seriousness. Thanks for the link. Much appreciated.

The wonders of polycount help many! :)