Home Unreal Engine

Speedtree Model Loading Nothing in UDk?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
Hey Polycount,

I am loading my speedtree models into udk. (after saving in the modeler and the compiler, loading up the shaders in UDK) In the speedtree editor screen nothing is showing. Its like there is no mesh. I am saving as .srt from the compiler. Yet nothing is showing up in UDK.

I have looked up a few tutorials and it seem it keep giving me the same issue of no mesh in UDK from speedtree.

I originally couldn't open speedtree model program. I had the issue with the program hanging in the loading screen of the program. I have fixed that one. I'm not sure if there is another issue out there with loading speedtree models into UDK?

I am running on a Windows 7 and I have newest update of UDK.

Thanks, ZeroStrike

Replies

• AlexLeighton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've run into this issue sometimes as well, often just making a different tree will fix it. I would love it if someone knows the actual cause though, because it is pretty annoying.
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have made like 3 or 4 different tree and following 3 or 4 different tutorials which basically do the same workflow.When in the tutorial it show that there is at least a default blue and white checker texture on the small mesh in UDK speedtree editor. They all don't show up in UDK speedtree editor. Its like there is no mesh.

On a small discovery, I have noticed that after a far distance from the original camera, I see that the billboard plane is working, however that is the only thing that is working. I have also tried to scale the tree to a very large size. Still nothing (even if the speed imported into UDK is normally pretty small.) Both in the UDK speedtree
    editor and UDK level editor.
  • FlynT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FlynT polycounter lvl 8
    Theres a simple but annoying fix for this problem. Import your tree(s) save everything, exit the udk and start it again. Now your trees should be there.
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to save everything and reopen. I still had no luck. I did some more research and testing. I believe I have found the answer. Originally, I was putting all my content into a folder in my doc. I found out where you need to actually put your content. Under UDK/UDKGame/Content/Maps/ Make a new folder here with your content.

That seems to have fix it.
  • FlynT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FlynT polycounter lvl 8
    Oh of course sourcefiles except .uc and .fla files can be placed outside the udk directory structure but imported content must be placed somewhere inside the content folder. Anyway problem is fixed :) all the best for you and your project.
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I am just glad that I can move on and finally get back to learning more. lol

Thanks Again. :)
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |*BILLY$CLINT*| polycounter lvl 11
    This might not be the cause but, under the hood Speed Tree makes a check to see if the Speed Tree that you are importing has more than four Material ID's. If your Speed Tree does have more then four Material ID's then the Speed Tree import code will automatically reduce that number to be under four. However it seams that it randomly picks one of the Material ID's to get rid of. To work around this issue we make sure that we get rid of the cap textures on the Tress as they are often not seen that much.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    I've just had a similar nightmare in UDK for the last 20+ hours. At first, my tree models were loading okay but they weren't painting in the terrain editor properly. Then, the textures were getting corrupted or something and every time I tried to save the package, UDK crashed. I have gone through this about 100 times now. Moreover, I was just having the same problem with the tree models not showing in the speedtree editor window. The browser would say it contained 4 tris, but 16,786 verts or whatever. I am now able to save a brand new model and it showed up after reloading the editor.

On a side note, I have never been privy to the fact that you have to save maps and packages somewhere in the UDK directory. Is this why my stuff never shows in the actual game mode? And also why I get a rap-sheet error list telling me that my packages are externally referenced and won't be visible in the game? How come no teacher of mine has ever told me this? Where do I need to save the files in the UDK folder????
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now when I try to insert the speedtree mesh via the terrain properties, the factory button to select speedtree mesh does nothing. Either does making a new deco layer, right clicking, and adding selected decoration in the terrain editor window....I f@%^*&! give up!
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Spectre--you need to save the packages anywhere within the CONTENT directory of the UDK subdirectory. Otherwise they won't work in game and will spit out warnings when you try and load the map and such.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks slate, I did that and my level loading is a little more stable. The terrain editor is still glitching a lot though. I am just flabbergasted at how unstable UDK can be.
  • gannonroader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gannonroader polycounter lvl 8
    i'm having a problem right now, where it's ONLY loading in the LOD's, and not the 3D file :/