Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Barbarian

Hey guys! I'm a second-year Game Design student about to break-up for the summer, and I've been wanting to get into hand-painted texturing for a while now after being influenced by the likes of Torchlight and Diablo so this is what I've come up with. It took about a week to make from start to finish and it was mostly designed on-the-fly with just a rough sketch to start with.

The textures for the Barbarian, his axe and the base are all entirely hand-painted using the Eagle Guy from the showcase sub-forum as direct inspiration in terms of the actual shading style.

The Barbarian himself clocks in at 4,875 tris, the axe at 872 and the base at 304 tris.

This is my first attempt at hand painting and modelling a fantasy character so all critiques and suggestions are totally welcome, as I plan to do a ton more over summer :) .

render2.png
render4.png
render6.png
render5.png
render7.png

render_wires.png
render_wires_4.png
render_wires_3.png
render_axe.png

Texture maps
texturemaps.png

Replies

• magmabolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    magmabolt polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice concept!
    Ill let the more advanced guys talk about anatomy and stuff that Im still working on. My only real problem is the texture size for the body seems a tad bit big for the detail that's on the model. I would suggest bumping that down to a 1024 tops or maybe add in some wear and tear to the armor, it's a bit pristine for a barbarian

Cant wait to see more :D
  • SkywardWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback :D . Definitely have a good point in terms of the texture size, something I need to do in future is scale my UV islands properly in the unwrap because in the case of this guy, lowering the resolution lead to texture blurring on some parts of the model. I'll definitely work towards optimizing pixel density for using lower resolution textures in the next models :)
  • jestersheepy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jestersheepy polycounter lvl 8
    Theres a lot of duplicated islands in the UV space. You should cut the parts in half that are symmetrical on the UV space and make them physically symmetrical (So that they overlap in the UV space and only use half as much resolution).

You would be able to get far more out of your map this way.
    (Much like what you have done with the blade part for your weapon).
  • Yuke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuke polycounter lvl 5
    Fantastic work, really like the art style! Looking forward to seeing more over the summer!

Just as jestersheepy said, try to work on the UV space and look at overlapping certain things such as the gloves or boots.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    there is one concern with the consistency of sharpness, the flesh looks very blurred and blended, some creases could be made darker or more apparent to show of the form more. You need to use the texture resolution as best you can, where as at the moment the flesh looks like it could fit in a much smaller space than what it takes up.
    but bar that
    This is my first attempt at hand painting and modelling a fantasy character so all critiques and suggestions are totally welcome, as I plan to do a ton more over summer .
    very very well done to you. make better use of the texture estate for the flesh and you have your self a beauty!
  • SkywardWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou everyone! I'm keeping keen notes on all of your suggestions :) . Once my deadlines have passed I'm getting straight to work, I can't wait!