Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Art'folio

Just throwing up my updated site for critiques or comments. All of it is welcome and helpful.

www.cdc3d.com

Replies

• praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Your work is really nice. I like the recent stuff and the guns you did a lot. I would say on the rock wall model with the tileable texture maybe try some tessellation on it to make it a bit more interesting. As it is a tad bit flat in the silhouette. Something else I read in terms of presenting work is that some employers like it when you have your name and email on your pieces as well. Since it make it easier for them to contact you back if they like your work. Just some things to think about. Great stuff though :)
  • Mekhollandt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think those are some fantastic suggestions. Thanks for the help :)
  • Mekhollandt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated with some new stuffs, including some of the stuff that was released in last night's Tomb Raider Trailer release 'Crossroads'.

Hope you guys can find some of it cool :)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome Tomb Raider stuff! I can't wait untill we can get some high rez art dumps when the game releases.
  • DudeinCA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really good work you got there. Only thing I would say is in your Gun Club 2 work you have your guns in a random order. You should put the 3 Bren Mark 2 Rifle images all together, same thing with the Mateba pistol.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I would also take down some of the textures that are tutorials (PhilipK's wood one in particular). Those are pretty noticeable as tutorials. Just do another texture similar. Some of the lighting on your older work isn't really there. You might take those down or rework them. It doesn't match with the newer stuff.
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
  • Mekhollandt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol the yoda

Haha, yeah, insanity takes it's toll. Made those changes guys. Thanks again for your help. Not really sure why I'm not getting updated when people respond since I'm subscribed, but I'll just keep checking back more frequently.

Thanks again, guys!
  • sdmitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sdmitchell polycounter lvl 6
    Oh man, the Tomb Raider stuff is brilliant and your texturing is superb! I really like your site, it's easy to read and nice job with the typography on your name!

I have a question for you if you don't mind; in regards to your weapon modelling. I take it (from the lack of normal map) that you don't create high poly versions first? And also, can you tell us what the tri count was like for the Tomb Raider weapons? Sorry if this seems out of place! I'm a first year student and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. XD
  • Mekhollandt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The weapon modeling depends. For the guns you see for GC2, they were specifically modeled for a gun enthusiast game that was required to have every screw and latch modeled in and normal maps were to be used just for scratches and roughness. Normally, you would use a bump map for something like that, but the engine required normal maps. Also, most of the guns were upward of 10k tris (which was expected). TR weapons, however, like all other next-gen games, use the low-poly with high-poly normal map method, and of course, p-count would entirely depend on what the weapon was (can't go much further into yet) :) )