Home Technical Talk

Maya: Rigging a cigarette / moving in world and local space

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
fleity polycounter lvl 6
I am rigging a rather elaborate cigarette for an university project but I have to come a point where I really have no idea how to continue:

the cigarette consists of an outer shell and an ash-core. when the cigarette burns down the core automatically bends down via a lattice and some driven keys. the next step would be to make parts fall off from the core and keep them where they end up (I have no problem animating the falling down by hand but the parts need to stay where they are). the core itself is 15 little cylinders so the possibility to move these around is somehow there. however the really problem is that the core-parts keep moving around when I move the main controller / the whole cigarette which is absolutly logical.

I am looking for a way to really detach those chunks. please I've already spent hours on this and haven't come anywhere.

thx a lot

cig.jpg

Replies

• tharle
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    is this just for an animation in maya? can you not just duplicate the chunk you want to fall off and animation the visibility of the two chunks so that the one in the heirarchy turns off when it falls off and the one you hand animate falling turns on?

having them be part of the same heirachy is cool for when they're waving around but if its causing problems for when they fall and settle just use new geometry.
  • fleity
    Offline / Send Message
    fleity polycounter lvl 6
    yeah I already proposed this... but I was asked to find a way which would not clutter the scene. I know we are talking about 20-30 objects maximum but nevertheless I'd really like to find a way to solve this problem.
  • Fatabimpar
    fleity wrote: »
    I am rigging a rather elaborate cigarette for an university project but I have to come a point where I really have no idea how to continue:

the cigarette consists of an outer shell and an ash-core. when the cigarette burns down the core automatically bends down via a lattice and some driven keys. the next step would be to make parts fall off from the core and keep them where they end up (I have no problem animating the falling down by hand but the parts need to stay where they are). the core itself is 15 little cylinders so the possibility to move these around is somehow there. however the really problem is that the core-parts keep moving around when I move the main controller / the whole cigarette which is absolutly logical.

I am looking for a way to really detach those chunks. please I've already spent hours on this and haven't come anywhere.

thx a lot

cig.jpg
    I already made an event which is about e cigarette. i know there is so many important section which should elaborate for our common people. i already make this and i know i can change somebody.