Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Thrall's Boom Hammer

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
DEDE_pig polycounter lvl 8
Hi all,

This is my first time posting my work in this forum.
Below is my low poly Thrall Boom Hammer.

Please leave your comments & critiques !

Poly: 314
Tri: 558

Replies

• Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    Try and get some more depth in there. Everything seems to be a very neutral tone, push your brights and your darks that way things will stand out. Because right now the it seems very flat, since it's so low poly that's inevitable but the texture is supposed to hide the flatness and in your case it's not yet.

Specifically try and really push the fact that those cracks go into the surface of the hammer make them feel like they actually cut into the surface

Couple other points
    -Push darks/lights
    -Color variation, keep it subtle but it can really help break up large flat surfaces like the hammer head
    -Define a color for your light source and then use it's inverse for the shadows
    -Have a gradation from light to dark from the top of the hammer towards the bottom
    -Tighten highlights on the metals to make them actually read as metal.

Also probably a good idea to also post reference for those who are unfamiliar with Thrall's hammer.

Definitely a good start, it just needs to be pushed further
  • DEDE_pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Xelan101 for it.

I didn't really thought about the definition of the light source.

But because I actually added some different tones of warm and cool.
    So do I actually should be thinking of the environment while I'm applying the different tones onto my hammer ?

Like for an example, if the environment is in a very warm tone (Lava environment), the color used shouldn't be that cool (Blue) ?

Thanks.
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    Generally unless you have a specific environment in mind and the object will never leave that environment you'd want to give it top down lighting using a yellow (the sun) as the light source, not too overpowering though of course just a subtle tint the the yellow. And then that lends itself to a purple/blue purple shadow color.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Everything Xelan said. Also, It's worth looking here for the hand painted tutorial series. The subscription fee is worth this tutorial alone.
  • DEDE_pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    Everything Xelan said. Also, It's worth looking here for the hand painted tutorial series. The subscription fee is worth this tutorial alone.

Wow, that tutorial sound interesting.
    Thanks for the info !

Xelan, thanks for the details and encouragement.

Here my new texture !