Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Security console

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
Been working on a sci-fi security console for a UDK gamey that is supposed to vaguely resemble an eye. The glowing blue veins are going to be on an material that pulsates while data is being transferred. Any critiques are welcome as the deadline is coming up fast.

dV2Z7.jpg
8LvTf.jpg

Replies

• mminnitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mminnitt polycounter lvl 10
    I think you need to change those 'veins' as you called them - seem to be too large and branch in random directions. Looks a bit messy and confusing. Perhaps try to make them more clearly electrical by adding a circuit-board look to them?

I'd also draw attention to the 'eye' itself with either some kind of HAL-style glow or just a cubemap reflection. Finally a few different tones and panels could help break it up a bit.

Not sure how helpful any of this is as it alters the concept and it really depends how strictly you need to adhere to it. Just did quick paintover to show what I mean.

paintovereye.jpg
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    I think I have to agree with Mminnitt and his paint over.

The veins don't have to be such literal veins to read as such. The paint over looks much more mechanical and sci-fi while the concept seems almost like some sort of unholy fusion of magic and machine; which may be what you're going for but even then the veins need some refining, they need to be much more organic in that case (try looking at ref images of actual veins).

Attention to the eye is definitely a must as that's the central idea of the whole model. And the extra plates he added help break up the shape of the console a bit more and add interest.

Good start keep pushing!
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mminitt I absolutely love your paint over, thanks for that. Deadline is approaching fast but your design is miles better than the concept so I'm going to try to pump out as much of your criticism as possible. Thanks a lot.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reworked the majority of the mesh and textures. Here's the latest update:

V8DkA.jpg