Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dark Tunnel

Hi, last week I spent a couple of evenings throwing this together for the hell of it. I was remaking a modular piece I made last year but then lost after a flash drive dying, but then decided to continue and make a small service tunnel or something. That eventually changed and turned into a larger tunnel for vehicles. Here's a Marmoset render of how it turned out;

_render_marmoset_by_ember2inferno-d4xam05.jpg

And here's individual renders of each model. Some of them have seemingly redundant edge loops through the middle. I was using them to create a smoother bend in the road.

floor_by_ember2inferno-d4xam3h.jpg
wall_by_ember2inferno-d4xam46.jpg
ceiling_by_ember2inferno-d4xam1q.jpg
door_by_ember2inferno-d4xam2e.jpg
pillar_by_ember2inferno-d4xam3p.jpg

After that I decided to put it all into UDK.

_render_udk_by_ember2inferno-d4xam11.jpg

I would really have loved to have some slight image based reflections going on, but sadly I couldn't get them working properly. I got them working perfectly in a test beforehand after following this video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0juJNTDSHII"]How to use DX11 Image-based Reflections in UDK - YouTube[/ame] , but they don't appear at all in my actual scene, in fact the image above actually has an active image based reflection actor present, however as you can see it's not happening.

Replies

• RedRaven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRaven polycounter lvl 10
    I love it man. It's got a very desolate, abandoned feel to it. Definitely keen to see if you take this further and have it move further down the tunnel, perhaps to a room of some kind, allowing for a real time video walkthrough (fully populated of course).

I'd definitely love to see this in real time with some dynamic lighting. I could imagine some kind of emergency lighting flashing somewhere. Just my 2 cents.

Did you perhaps want to show the original piece you spoke about, if you have a screenshot of it still somewhere?
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some awesome textures here :) awesome work
  • Panadol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RedRaven;
    Thanks dude. I'm not sure if I'm going to build upon it, we'll see what happens. As for the older version;
    modular_floor_piece_by_ember2inferno-d461om9.jpg

@njc6425
    Thank you very much :)
  • tupwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really loved the marmoset render! Awesome stuff.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    This is really nice! I love the texture work, that Marmoset render is fantastic!
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Looks very cool. Love the mood of the scene. :D
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    Hey! I really love your individual renders of each model.
    As I looked at the combined scene I noticed that everything is textured the same color. Try to get some color variation to break up the textures. And also try to separate the ceiling from the walls through lighting or texture.
    Great mood you have set up so far. Its coming together nicely.
  • Panadol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the compliments every body :)

@Marisa: That's a really good idea, I'll add some colour in soon.

For now, I wanted to make a little environment for the tunnel to connect to, so I started playing around with some ideas in Maya and eventually drew a (very) rough layout of what I want to do.

concept_by_ember2inferno-d4xpi9y.jpg

Sorry for my atrocious hand writing, haha.

Here's what I've done as of last night;
    wall4_by_ember2inferno-d4xphy1.jpg

At the moment here's a basic to-do list;

-Doors
    -Small and Medium pipe brackets. Redesign brackets?
    -Windows
    -Small and medium curved pipe
    -Exhaust fans
    -Texture barbed wire
    -Roof texture
    -Replace Floor texture
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    looking good! i'd get some bevels on that building, particularly that white trim and those air conditioners, unless that's a look you're going for. i don't think that white trim is reading well, is it supposed to be paint/metal?

i think you should tame down the grunge on the walls and reduce the amount of rust around the edges, it's all too consistent and looks almost proceduraly done, have areas where there's no rust.

basically i think reduce the overall grunge and go bananas in your spec.
  • RedRaven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRaven polycounter lvl 10
    snow wrote: »
    looking good! i'd get some bevels on that building, particularly that white trim and those air conditioners, unless that's a look you're going for. i don't think that white trim is reading well, is it supposed to be paint/metal?

i think you should tame down the grunge on the walls and reduce the amount of rust around the edges, it's all too consistent and looks almost proceduraly done, have areas where there's no rust.

I'll second this.
  • Panadol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for not updating for the last few days.. I've been playing Guild Wars 2 :P
    snow wrote: »

Hi, thanks for the feedback. The air conditioners and trim do have bevels, although it is hard to tell from so far away. As for the trim, it is painted metal. Do you think it is easier to see that closer up? Otherwise I might change the colour of the paint.

wall6_by_ember2inferno-d4y5mob.jpg

I've toned down the rust on the green panels, what do you think of this amount? More or less? Personally I'm feeling like there should be less still.

wallrust_by_ember2inferno-d4y5msa.jpg

Also, as for a general progress update - I've added doors, windows, fans, roofing and made a quick ladder. It's all UV'd, I'm yet to texture it though. I'm moving to Melbourne tomorrow until June so I might not be able to get much done in the next couple of days but after that I'll have a lot of spare time.

wall7_by_ember2inferno-d4y5na9.jpg
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Loving your texturing skills!
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    I really like the tunnel in UDK; I think if you could eventually get the reflections working, it would look fantastic. The marmoset render is nice, but make the scene look a bit too crisp.
    As for the new tunnel extension part, it's shaping up nicely, I just think the rust on the green parts of the wall still looks a bit too uniform at the moment and would look my better if it was more randomly placed?