Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Biker Chick

I am a graduating senior looking for an intern position, and I am posting this on my portfolio web site along with some HP Weapons, and a UDK racing mod I made. I would like feedback so I can fix anything needed on this character before I submit to companies. Detailed criticism is what I am looking for. More geo here or less there, etc. Please no vague replies. Her nude is detail textured too.
Thank you!

Replies

• TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    I think her neck is to thin and possibly want to pull her cheek bones out a bit and you might want to have the hair continue down in front of her ear because she kind of looks like she has a buzz cut bowl type thing from the front. The botten of her jeans looks paper thin you could give it some thickness. the wooden heel bit on the shoes seems blobby. starting to think her shoulders are to wide as well. thats really all i can see at the moment. But yea maby grab some more girl referance around the shoulder collar bone and chest area and the rib cage. Hope that helps lol :D
  • NormanHolmquist
    Thank you very much. It is things like this I loose sight of after stairing at my model to long... Any thing else will always help.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Before you read on, I am not trying to be a dick or overly harsh, just direct and honest. The best advice I can give you is vague. This character is currently not strong enough to compete with other artists out there looking for internships and junior positions with character portfolios. You will either have to put a lot of work into improving your characters or try to work on props and environments primarily.

More specifically, her facial anatomy is wrong. Her face is very flat in profile. The lips have no shape or volume and the chin is very small and sharp. She doesn't have a defined jawline. Her head is too wide and the neck is too thin.

None of the cloth sculpting you have done is flowing or folding naturally. It's also not bunching or pinching in areas of tension. In many places the texture is very blurry and doesn't seem to follow the model. Right now she is not posed at all and appears very stiff and lifeless. Overall her body is very smooth and tubey.

Do you have samples of your other work on hand so we can give you more advice?

You are a senior in high school? Maybe see if you can go to an art school if there's a good one in your area. Or, you can just spend your own time getting better if you are a good self learner. Either way you have a lot of time to work and improve if that's the case. I'd also say you're ahead of the curve if you are just graduating high school. Keep it up.
  • NormanHolmquist
    @ Frump- I am glad you replied. Thank you for the feed back, it is valuable. No, I am not in high school, though I do look the part. I am a 35 year old senior BA fine arts who touched a computer for the first time 3 years ago.

I am not trying to be a character modeler, and I hope not a prop modeler (Though I did want to put this in my portfolio along with my other assets. If that is a bad Idea and people will assume I want to become a character modeler, let me know please.). I am trying to be a technical artist/rigger. My main interest is rigging and coding for UDK mods like my race game I am making. I did want quality props to display I can model and sculpt, to show I understand things like edge flow, creasing, etc.

I am showing working riggs and code in my portfolio. I just wanted the riggs on my own quality stuff, not on a stupid block guy.

Though I am not posing her here. Everything I make, I rigg and MOD into UDK. I have a couple HP weapons that are good quality, and I am trying my skills with characters.(this proved difficult) I wanted to have some good models I made, that I rigged. If I am getting close to becoming a good character modeler then I may continue. This is my first attempt at a human character. If I should stop let me know. I was way better then my fellow students and the teacher suggested me post this here for feedback that he could no longer give.

Even with the small negative feed back, I was expecting way worse. I used a quick spotlight technique for texturing in Zbrush. That is how I got the smeared textures. I never went back into Photoshop and fixed them. I wanted to get feedback here, because You all will tell me the truth where jobs will be nice to my face along with my acquaintances. So let it rip!!!! I need to know what I am slaking on and what shows really bad as this will hurt my portfolio.

Texturing has always been my nemesis, and sadly this is my best work to date. The wood grain on the shoe is actually a picture of layered rubber. After painting, it resembled blurry wood.

My friends are no help, they told me to leave it. This is why I am here for feed back...

This post also lets me know what I am good with and what I need more time on.
    From what I am hearing I should give her a helmet and set her on the GSXR for the final pose? Not showing my body? It sounds like the Clothes are not as bad as the nude? or is it mainly just her face?

Wrinkles-I DID realize the flow was off, but I learned how to continue sculpting without destroying my texture in Zbrush yesterday. If you look close, the textured pockets are shallow, but the sculpted geo goes down like pockets on slacks. The model has large known flaws.

Face- this has been the most difficult area for me. the pointy jaw, bad forehead, and hair line are things I need to fix but I needed someone to point it out so I can see it. suggestions on how to fix would help too.

Is she to skinny in the face? I can add more geo to the lips and make them more puffy. Are the eyes sunk in to far?

I did not notice the bottom of the pants not folding out around the shoe. These are all simple fixes for my model the wrinkles, forehead, and the chin. Thank you very much!!! Keep it coming...

I have thick skin, I know I am not profesional yet.