Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Slum Shack

Decided to work on some 3D stuff for the first time in a long while. It's just a small shack that would, potentially, fit into a slum style environment.

I set the pieces up in UDK for display after modelling in 3Ds Max, along with ZBrush.

Without further ado:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Any thoughts and critique are, as always, greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Replies

• Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    It looks good for a start, but I just don't feel like it's shitty enough. Needs moar shit! Maybe some old soggy newspapers or a jerry can? I think some stuff on the brick wall could help, like graffiti or something. Also, right now the shadows are a little too blue. Keep going with this :P
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Are you using any reference? It could help you get some more structure in there, right now it looks very "put-together" which ofcourse is what you do with slum-shacks, but generally you make sure it's grounded properly. Yours is just too random right now and if you push it it would fall apart.

So first maybe go through some reference shots of what exactly defines an area such as this. Usually you have create a shack, maybe using corrugated metal and wood. Maybe have a wooden base structure then put metal plates on top of it etc. Once you're done with the proper structure and look of the actual shack , you can move into propping it properly, old leather sofa, broken down tv, dirty clothes on the ground, all sorts of debris around the shack.

Have a think about it :) You have a nice start, just keep going and put some more thought into it. Half of the battle is to learn to think the right way when approaching new projects :)
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your metal sheets are a little to noisy. One thing i had to learn (and am still learning) is that rusty and dirty metal can still be done cleanly, instead of throwing noise and grunge all over the place.

I would start with a base grey metal, find some nice dirt/grunge photoshop brushes and paint in the dirtyness manually. It will look cleaner, (and dirtier) at the same time if that makes sense. Rust and dity, while appearing random, really arnt so random when you start to look at where and why rust forms and where dirts likely to collect. (around bottoms etc)

Also. Where that blue light from inside coming from?

Keep it up!