Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Futuristic Shuttlecar

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
GabeLamas polycounter lvl 8
Hello, everyone! This project is called the Futuristic Shuttlecar and marks my one of my first attempts at creating an animated game-ready vehicle model. I've had this concept for about a year, but decided that it wasn't ready to be put in a game engine since I rendered it in Mental Ray. Here is my concept art and 3D Model.

FuturisticShuttlecar_(2_0)_Model_Stats.png

I do plan on texturing, and ultimately animating, this model later. Please C&C and let me know what you all think.

Replies

• Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Well you matched the concept pretty perfectly, minus the bendy arms at the top (which you made look better). If you have time, maybe add some doors or windows, just so it doesnt look so plain.
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Selaznog! I actually one of my classmates suggest that to me. This actually brings more changes in shape to mind.
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm starting to like these changes I made to the vehicle. It makes the overall function seem more practicle. What I did was cut a "hole" into the sides and added two doors on bothsides to allow for passenger entrance and departure. As you can see there's only a difference of 302 triangles.

FuturisticShuttlecar_(2_0)_Model_Stats_(Update).png
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that I have forms down, making the textures for this vehicle was pretty awesome to say the least. At the same time I'm also dealing with particle effects, or smoke if you will. I am in the process of making all the other texturemaps, mostly normals, displacement, and specular, with some cavity and occlusion if it all seems to go well. but in the meantime please comment on my (diffuse) texture work for the time being.

Diffuse texturemap and particle effect Renders

FuturisticShuttlecar_(2_0)_Texturing_(Diffuse).png
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting particle effects, camerawork, lighting, and animation into the mix. I'm looking forward to compositing this vehicle later on, but I would like any comments and critiques regarding this vehicle at this stage of development.

Futuristic Shuttlecar - Test Video Render for Animation and Particle Effects

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c63d5YgmT8&feature=plcp"]Futuristic Shuttlecar - Test Video Render for Animation and Particle Effects - YouTube[/ame]
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    id advise you to go and reunwrap that model and do alot of overlapping, cut the model in half and overlap the textures...Also when you go to paint it, what style are you going for? realistic or handpainted? Gather a lot of references of vehicles.
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so basically overlapping the same uv shells that are going to share the same texture. I should have just went with that in the first place. In terms of texture-mapping, as a rule of thumb I try to aim for realistic style of texturing. A futuristic feel (as the name implies) is what I'm trying to aim for. But thanks, snake85027! I will keep your critique in mind.
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here is a reworking of the materials on my vehicle...

FuturisticShuttlecar_(2_0)_Texturing_(Reworked_Color_Maps).png

...and here are the renders.

FuturisticShuttlecar_(2_0)_Render_11_Chrome_Material_Render.png

FuturisticShuttlecar_(2_0)_Render_12_Chrome_Material_Render.png

FuturisticShuttlecar_(2_0)_Render_13_Chrome_Material_Render.png

Here are Mental Ray renders that I made a while back. This is really what I wanted originally for my vehicle prototype.

Render%2001%20-%20ShuttleCar%20(Mental%20Ray).png

Render%2002%20-%20ShuttleCar%20(Mental%20Ray).png

Render%2003%20-%20ShuttleCar%20(Mental%20Ray).png
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The finishing touches to my Futuristic Shuttlecar concept vehicle. Essentially this vehicle may remind you of my
    Mercury Cruiser considering that I was working on both these vehicles back-to-back. I changed the shader to a Phong shader
    and re-textured the model. Lighting and particle effects are all the same, and the model now has 8 tetxuremaps
    (Transparency and Illumination) instead of 6. Tell what you think of the composition and the model itself. Thank you.

Futuristic Shuttlecar - Turntable Overview (Finalized Model)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T600YFaY6j8&feature=plcp"]Futuristic Shuttlecar - Turntable Overview (Finalized Model) - YouTube[/ame]

Here's some still renders...

FuturisticShuttlecar_(2_0)_Render_17_Finalized_Texture.png

FuturisticShuttlecar_(2_0)_Render_18_Finalized_Texture.png

FuturisticShuttlecar_(2_0)_Render_19_Finalized_Texture.png