Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fleshman Sculpt WIP

Currently working on my cg student awards entry. Doing it more for the practice then anything else as i am in first year. The concept is Fleshman by
retrovenus miravis over at CGhub.com he has been kind enough to give me permission to attempt to do justice on his awesome concept.

Below is the base sculpt its still very low poly and in the Dynamesh stage. Just getting the major forms and aspects down. I need to spend more time on the face but i wanted to post here to start getting feedback early in the process.

WIP_front1.JPG
WIP_back1.JPG
WIP_side1.JPG
WIP_side2.JPG

Any feedback or crit would be very welcome. As i said im doing this mostly for the practice so the moire i learn the better!
Heres a link to Retrovenus's Concept
http://cghub.com/images/view/123411/
Thanks!

PS. IMage links have been acting up on me lately so if they don't come up these are the urls to dropbox.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44396673/cgawards/WIP_front1.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44396673/cgawards/WIP_back1.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44396673/cgawards/WIP_side1.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44396673/cgawards/WIP_side2.JPG

Replies

• Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Hm, those links aren't working for me. Have you tried embedding them with [ img ] [ / img ] ?
  • mccartm6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They should be fixed now, i was being an idiot :-P
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Works now :)

Gonna post the concept here just so other people can do some comparing:
    137_large.jpg

Yeah, the face could use some work. The Ironman helmet is one of my favorite helmet concepts of all time. It's got really nice flow to it.

Remember to angle the chin forward a bit, and bury the mouth more. Try to get those nice cheek curves the ironman helmet has (which you can kind of see in the concept) in your sculpt. That will make this much more Ironmany.

The rest of the sculpt is looking good so far, though I would angle the spine a bit more to give it that "pizazz". Basically just add a bit more contrast to the shape (this is just my opinion though, do what feels right :P)
  • mccartm6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Selaznog. the more io look at the face the more i realise it needs serious work haha, the nose area is really wrong. I see what you mean about the chin and mouth too. I've lost the profile along the way.

I'll get some ironman ref pics and use them to help get the lfow your talking about its miising at the moment.

In work today so i wont get anything done on it till later unfortunatly. cant wait to get back to it!
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far man, thats an awesome concept to be working off of as well :) good luck, looking forward to seeing how this turns out
  • mccartm6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so after talking with my lecturer he basically convinced me if i was going to do this it would be better to aim to make it portfolio worthy. So i am now aiming to creat a full character, which will be game ready. This has as a result turned into a High poly sculpt. It has also grown legs and arms :-)

Due to the change of direction and the fact that i have no concept art for the legs and arms i would really appreciate feedback and crits at this stage so i can get this bad boy going in the right direction. i have just over two weeks to get this to completion so time to get cracking!

Full_body.JPG
    Full_body2.JPG
    Full_body3.JPG
    Full_body4.JPG
    Full_body5.JPG
    Full_body6.JPG

Thanks for the help so far!
  • mccartm6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ol so i have most of the mid-level detail in now, need to work on the hands and feet as i think they are letting it down at the moment. crits and feedback always welcome
    Mid_level_details.JPG
    Mid_level_details2.JPG
    Mid_level_details3.JPG
    Mid_level_details4.JPG
    Mid_level_details5.JPG
    Mid_level_details6.JPG
    Mid_level_details7.JPG

Thanks
  • BrianP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP polycounter lvl 7
    honestly i think that you had the right idea of only doing a bust. also without concept for the lower body your are going to be focused on the design of it all rather than focused on raw sculpting.

anyways, as for my crit i would say your shapes are very bloby right now. focus more on your big shapes first, clean those up and then focus on details. Your pose is way off too (this will give the character the badassary he needs). in the concept he has a leaned back muscular pose and in yours is is more of a forward falling over pose.

honestly i think this would be a very difficult concept to pull off even for a pro. The shapes are so bloby and melted which never (in my opinion) looks good in sculpts. It works in the painting but very hard to duplicate in zbrush. Keep going!
  • mccartm6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP- Thanks for the honest feedback,i agree completely with you on the posing its crap, I'm going to try stick him in a more generic A-Pose as i hopefully am going to be retopoing and texturing this character so that should make that easier. As for the blobbiness i didn't actually notice it until you pointed it out (problem with being 2 inches form it for 6 hours:-) ) I'm still quite low poly so im gonna clean it all up and start defining textures and materials more as opposed to just forms.

I agree i've probably bitten of more than i can chew by going full character but i'll learn alot this way trying to take this full circle! I'll truck on true :-)
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Other than the hands being a little too small and squished up and the pose its looking good. I know your going to through and clean up the volumes, so i dont really think the blobbyness is an issue at this stage.

As for the pose:
    aaa.gif
  • mccartm6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Giles,heres the fixed pose now
    psoe%20fix%203.JPG
  • Dnna1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to, I've slowly like these, happy

to join you.www.cleaningcassette.com
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that maybe you should just do the bust. The legs/feet and arms/hands are really letting down at the moment, the proportions dont seem right, close but not right. the hands in particular seem really small. And as BrianP said, without the concept of the arms and lower body your going to be guessing that area and it just won't look as good as the torso (most likely):) I mean obviously the concept is an organic version of the iron man suit so theres some ref. Id say if your gonna do a bust, keep working on the details. If your going for a full character go back to the lower subs and fix the proportions.

Looking good otherwise :)
  • mccartm6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback guys it's really appreciated. I'm going to stick with the full character at this stage going to take work but that does'nt deter me, im in work now but this evening i'll drop the sub-ds and fix the hands and feet like NJC6425 said. Keep coming witht the crits guys the more you crit the more i learn haha :-)