Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SKULLMORE: concept art project

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
MGrecke polycounter lvl 7
I have no idea about the title for this project yet but, Skullmore it is for now!
So ye, I'll be posting some of various concepts for this project here, already postet a portrait picture in the waywo thread, well thats the only picture I have finished for this right now so will post that up first I think, but I'm working on some thumbnails here which I would love to get some respond on when they are up! So will get it up soon as possible!

Replies

• MGrecke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still nore sure about the style on things, I will prob render stuff in different styles as I'm very eager to make some cell shaded stuff again as I used to do long ago!

Heres the first character portrait! feel free to crit on it!
    guy_skull_by_go_maxpower-d4whwtg.jpg
  • MGrecke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some siluette thumbnails for different characters, let me know which ones you like!

siluettes_by_go_maxpower-d4x5zvl.jpg
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    this first concept is sick ! I love the style, the comp and colors :p
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work as usual Max :P Thumb 3 looks badass.
  • deadlyplay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadlyplay polycounter lvl 7
    For the top concept, it's really gorgeous. I love that it's refined but is so expressive and painterly. My main critique is I don't know where to look. You have 2 opposite directions. The skull is looking right, the guy is looking left. Its a little jarring along with all the glass thrown around at first. The "veins" for lack of a better term on his face help me flow through the image. They are my relief in your picture. So do the lines on the side that lead you down the picture, I just think if the skull guy could be looking a little more direct at us, or flipped all together, it would help with the flow of the image.

The whole thing is very intense and throwing me everywhere, which is good! It's a very nice effect with your blur and lens flare. The eye directions will just help solidify your viewer's eye path, because eyes are what I always tend to look at personally. I love the colours though, they blow me away. Also, the black thing on his shoulder would be nice with a little blur on itself, it's really the only thing fully focused. It's some nice detail work, but just around the edges like on the hand would balance it out a bit.

Nice silhouettes. I love a lot of them so picking a number would be hard for me. 3 and 4 are probably my favorites though. I love the contrast. They'd be a nice pair to keep around each other. I could just see them walking together all the time.

1. looks like the hero, for sure, while the others all look more like villain types. I think he doesn't exactly fit with the others and I'm not sure if that's what you intended. If that's intentional, to make him heroic, cool! I wouldn't change a thing. He's not far enough from the style that he should be drastically changed. I think 5 may be the weakest, just proportion wise but I would love to see another view of his head. It's a really interesting shape.
    's
    I think 6 is stretching it a bit far in style as well, sort of like 1, but it's different because it looks like a different genre. Completely sci-fi in comparison to the rest, they're all a little more realistically proportioned. 2 is getting a little cartooney, with the size change from his arms to his hands being so drastic. He's a bit more dynamic then the others.

To clarify my rambles lol---1, 3, 4 and 5 are the more realistic looking ones, that all seem to have 1 or 2 very interesting shapes coming from them, and 2 and 6 are the ones out, but 6 is definitely the furthest one away. 2 isn't that far off in style. And just as a side, i love 3's feet. The style in all is pretty unified and is really interesting. I love em.

Hope that's helpful, beautiful work :D!
  • MGrecke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow thanks for the long reply and crits! didnt excpect that! It's funny that you mentioned the direction of the heads, as I started with the picture I originaly had them both facing the same way!

And the thing i hadnt mentioned about the silhouettes (now I got to learnt to spell that right) was that the left side is suppose to be guys with a more neutral/angel design and the guys on the right are supposed to have some kind of demonish infuels on them, some with more pushed features than others.. I'm still not too sure about the style on things.. playing around with it!

But all your feedback really helps! thanks,
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the concept looks friggin insannne, out of the concepts id say i like numero 6 haha, looks creepy :D
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love 6's silhouette. I think deadlyplay has said most of what needs to be said. I love the blue veins down the guys face, they really make the picture look that much cooler.

Really like were this is going!
  • MGrecke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First positive response I got was for number 3, so I made that one first off!
    I worked out from the siluette using no lineart at all, which I am very used to do... so was really fun trying out something new

would be fun to hear if this is what you had in mind from the siluette you saw? and any crits are welcome

prob spent about.. 1 hour on him.. I dunno really

here he is, feel free to give him a name, haha
    number_3_by_go_maxpower-d4xar7m.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Thats so badass. love the colours you use. I'd say its pretty much what i imagined from the silhouette
  • MGrecke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decided to make a step by step on the first portrait that I posted! hope it will help some out!
    Feel free to ask me anything about it if you have any questions!

step_by_step_by_go_maxpower-d4xg6fo.jpg
  • MGrecke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got to doing number 2 of the characters!

thumb2_by_go_maxpower-d4xy4cm.png

also made a cellshading test which im not too sure if its good enough to use as a render, but I will be sure to post the test later
  • Dnna1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the texture paintings. They are

very beautiful, very perfect.www.cleaningcassette.com