Home Technical Talk

How do I cap a hole like this (it isn't technically a hole, so "cap" doesn't work)

Heres a example picture of the problem I'm facing right now. What I want to do, is create a polygon where the middle "line/edge" is, inside the hole in the tube. I've had this problem before but could never figure out a solution.

ffffff.jpg

I'm trying to make a simple japanese style screen door, with a wooden frame thats attached to a sheet of screen. I want the screen to be a flat, 2D polygon, so I can keep the polycount to a minimum. The only other way I can think of doing this (by creating a door shaped box, then insetting rectangular cavities into each side), would double the amount of poly's needed for the screen.

The reason I want to minimize the polycount is because I intend to use this as a game asset in UDK.

Hope someone can shed some light on this. Thanks!

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You just just wedge a plane/grid mesh in there. Either have it sticking into the mesh if you dont think it will cause any problems for your specific needs, or subdivide it up a bit and snap the verts so that it's shape matches the inner ring.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    keep in mind that a 2d plane will lightmap really badly. It's generally a bad idea to do this and much better to just model a face that is welded across the vertexes. You might save a few vertexes doing it the other way but you'll end up with a worse result.

here's a article on the UDN about this kind of thing:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightMapUnwrapping.html
  • Shuriken UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies!

@Cryrid: Hey can you explain a bit more about the second method you mentioned? How would I do that? Sorry, I've got some BIG grey areas when it comes to modelling! I just know "a bit of this, and a bit of that" because I've taken what I do know from various tutorials or experiments. I dont really have extensive knowledge on one particular area, but a mish mash of different stuff.

@Sprunghunt: Thanks, so if I understand this correctly, it would be better to just do this the way I WAS going to do it (just creating the base shape, then insetting a series of smaller rectangle cavities into it, which would leave me with the frame)?

Thanks!
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    It'd be better to just select the center edge loop and chamfer it with "split" turned on. Then to cap across those open edges.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    It'd be better to just select the center edge loop and chamfer it with "split" turned on. Then to cap across those open edges.

bingo
  • Shuriken UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help. Yea I ended up just "inner extruding" the cavities, because theres so many of them, but I didn't know about that chamfer technique, so I'll remember that one! This is what I have so far, its low poly because I dont really know how far I can take things on UDK before it gets stroppy on 4 gigs of RAM, a 3.0 ghz dual, and a 4870 (getting kind of dated now). I've still got to texture them, but that shouldn't take too long. I'm trying to create a set of Oriental style modular architecture, some with a futuristic edge maybe. So far I've got one of those miniature "Chinese/Japanese garden" bridges, a shrine, a set of Japanese walls, and one of those big "archway" monuments.

dddddd.jpg

uuuuuu.jpg

bbbbbb.jpg
    gggg.jpg
    ghhhh.jpg

I'm still a "noob" when it comes to modelling things, and I dont get as much time as I need to PROPERLY sit down and learn the techniques and most efficient methods; so I'm often just sat there in a haze of confusion and frustration, knowing what I WANT to do, but not HOW to do it, but I'm slowly getting there. Its only a free time hobby, but I'm not giving up. The prospect of one day being able to create anything I can imagine is just too much to ignore!