Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Character Cont'd (or How I Learned to Stop Procrastinating and Love the Art)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
BrendtheCow polycounter lvl 8
In honor of this thread, I'm dusting off an old character I didn't finish. Since it's mostly Hazardous's posts that inspired me I figured a pretty lady would be an appropriate place to start. Suggestions are always encouraged. Be harsh. It'll make me better.

Hopefully it's obvious that I've pushed her midsection the furthest, and I'm not quite sure where to jump back in, but whatever. Less thinking. More doing.

Shitty concept art:

Week-02-Gallery-Update.jpg

Sculpt:

Update-19.jpg

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'd suggest going back to the 2d, doing more sketches... get as much reference as you can and draw draw draw.

if you do that, then you won't need me to tell you what's wrong with your work so far :)
  • BrendtheCow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like as good a place as any to start. I'm pretty bad when it comes to drawing/design. Since I'm at a strictly anatomical part of the sculpt right now, I guess I'll start by copying my anatomy book page for page :B
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man, i'm not too fantastic with female anatomy but here's the main issues i see:

- Head is too small
    - Shoulders too angular
    - Rib cage is too narrow
    - breasts seem extruded from the torso instead of resting on it (see babelab boob physics example)
    -Knee's are too low down and making the legs look dumpy
    -lower leg is very thin
    -the angle that hands are modelled at is really down to preference, but i find its easier to crit their shape if they are in a neutral position
    -Belly seems to concave inwards as if she's starved, try reduce this a fair bit.
    - pelvic bones seem a bit too visable, i'd make this area smooth into the body in a more subtle way.

Paint over:
    femaleanatomy.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Sounds like as good a place as any to start. I'm pretty bad when it comes to drawing/design. Since I'm at a strictly anatomical part of the sculpt right now, I guess I'll start by copying my anatomy book page for page :B

man i'm in the same boat. terribad 2d artist!

check my sig for what i mean about collecting ref and drawing from many angles etc. believe me, it helps a lot!

oh, and use perspective mode in zbrush (press "p").
  • chakkrit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I learnt the perspective lesson yesterday haha, you'll see the different when you switch it on...

That's a pretty good start to the sculpt. If you can't draw, then take an image of a female body and maybe paint design ideas over? Get as many ideas down as you can first, it'll save time later and give you a sense of direction. Alternatively, photo-splice images together. Not the prettiest of methods, but saves you drawing.

I'm not amazing with anatomy either, but these are my observations;
    -neck slightly too long
    -arms could be ever so slightly longer, the wrists should align with the crotch
    -i agree with everything else that has been said

Just some notes;
    -hands should be as big as the head
    -character should be 8 heads high (for heroic proportions)

Keep going! :D
  • BrendtheCow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW, so, in light of http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98113 I'm taking this back to the drawing board completely (get it? drawing board? ...that's about as good as you can expect the puns to get around here). I'm going to follow along with the course they're outlining, starting with the gesture drawing boot-camp. This tool that Hazardous posted is pretty awesome, and should come in handy during lunch at work.

I'm not sure what character to go with just yet. I'm big into the Warhammer 40k right now, but they're all covered in armor (and I don't think I've run into a female yet, as I just started with Horus Rising). WoW seems a bit over-fan-arted. Maybe a female version of Adam Jensen from Deus Ex? I'll post a reference sheet when I decide on something.

In the meantime, gestures! :)
  • BrendtheCow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went through the gestures, got some good feedback, grabbed http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/295/a/f/commissh___alatariel_by_kasai-d31b6b1.jpg as the new concept (because Kasai has awesome art), and strapped myself to my desk.

New WIP:
    CGWorkshop%20Updates2012-09-09_03.jpg

I used it as an excuse to familiarize myself better with ZBrush's hard surface toolset, so everything here except the anatomy, is the polysphere3D > concept mesh > retopo > crease edges > dynamesh > IMM for embelishments workflow. There's still a ways to go, but I feel like I'm improving.

NOTE: The straps holding the thigh/groin armor up are from an IMM posted here: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?170167-Insert-Multi-Mesh-Repository , reworked a bit to fit my needs better. :)
    CGWorkshop%20Updates
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking great so far. I'm not by any means an anatomy expert but I think her head might be too small? Also her hands look very small and flat.

In the concept the armor plates do look very slim, but you might be able to get some interesting shapes on her silhouette by deviating from the concept art a bit and thickening up those armor plates so they don't feel so paper thin.
  • BrendtheCow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix wrote: »
    This is looking great so far. I'm not by any means an anatomy expert but I think her head might be too small? Also her hands look very small and flat.

In the concept the armor plates do look very slim, but you might be able to get some interesting shapes on her silhouette by deviating from the concept art a bit and thickening up those armor plates so they don't feel so paper thin.

Thanks for the feedback Sybrix :). I thought the same thing about the head when I was working on the anatomy base, but (measured out) the proportions fit. The hands, however, are definitely terrible stand-ins right now.

The armor plates I'm not sure on. Looking at armor reference images (here) the armor I have on her is already too thick. Any thinner than it is and it doesn't look substantial enough, but any thicker and it may look too heavy. I'll give it a shot, though, and see how it feels :)