Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK city environment

I am currently working on my first major UDK environment for my high-school game design class.
We are required to concept and design two city environments based around an original story concept.
The story is kind of ridiculous and I don't want to use 20 paragraphs to explain it but here is the basic concept:
-Originally there was one city, as the island became overpopulated, they began building structures that hang off and underneath the island.
-Over time, the poor became isolated from the upper city, creating a huge cultural divide. The members of the lower city are seen as a cancer to their society, they are blamed for violence and the rapidly diminishing resources.
...So basically, whaleruses, giant flying jellyfish, etc.

I am creating the map, materials, effects, and a lot of the meshes. I need to find an efficient way to unwrap and create uv maps for complex meshes, this is why most of the cool stuff is still untextured right now. This is the first map where we are designing all of the environment assets. Each city will have a unique color pallet and unique architecture.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNO-0Q0-8Fw&feature=plcp&context=C41fbccfVDvjVQa1PpcFOLSyqkFNcSO-Io7MVKgu3VK8pnDI0tna4%3D

A picture:

QMzJe.jpg

Also, ignore the Eat3D brick material, that was a placeholder I already replaced it with a material I made while following that tutorial. The extreme DOF is only there to hide the untextured buildings in the background. That isn't going to be in the final post processing chain. Some of this stuff is kind of old, I will probably upload recent changes tomorrow (I'm on OSX right now).

I am using 3DS Max 2012 Student Edition, Mudbox 2012 Student Edition and Photoshop CS5. If any of you know of a good tutorial for UV mapping in 3DS Max, I could really use the help. The tutorials I find typically show the process of unwrapping a simple object like a box or a complex creature/face mesh.

Replies