Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first try at sculpting

Hello, my name is Acrid Bird and i tryed to do a sculpting with Autodesk Mudbox 2011. That is my first try so, please don't blame me ^^
http://imgur.com/a/YWVbm
What i wanted to do here, is that to give it an old bronze look. I tried to do a monkey, but i failed so we can say that it is a creature :P

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Cool! Sculpting is a lot of fun, keep working at it.

Nobody's first sculpt is going to be perfect, I don't think there's any point in giving you too much in-depth feedback. But I will say a few things. Don't be afraid to make some drastic changes - right now I can still tell exactly what base mesh you used, certain parts seem untouched. Try to change the mesh enough to make it your own. Also, if you're trying to model a specific animal - pull up some reference! It will help a ton.
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'm not one to talk, but I did this exact same thing. This is much better than my first try at sculpting, but you need to try doing low poly modelling in 3ds max or maya first before ever trying to sculpt. Unless you are just doing it for fun, keep at it, but if you want to get serious like myself I suggest learning a required program such as the ones I've mentioned above :D

Again, this is pretty cool!
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Welcome to the wonderful world of sculpting, I agree with the others on this no ones first sculpt come out the way they planned. (I know mines didnt) the best advice I can give is to keep going at it. Study whatever it is your trying to sculpt, break it down, look at the masses of the subject and focus on those. Give yourself small exercises and just keep going at it. Nice first sculpt by the way I look forward to seeing what you will produce next :)
  • acridbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh thanks for the commentary's i'm going to keep learning, and well maybe one day i will do something that is pretty artistic ;)