Home General Discussion

"Why the end of the $60 video game is near"

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/why-end-60-video-game-near-181412574.html

Its basically talking about games like Angry Birds being only $1 and COD or BF being $60 yet theyre both fun games. People are finding cheaper games just as fun nowadays because development tools and platforms are so widespread.

I don't know about everyone else but I very seldom buy $60 games. Its just too much of a chunk for me, I wait for steam sales for almost all my games.

Thoughts? I know everyone here will be against it because in the end it means layoffs or lower pay and I dont blame them

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I have yet to play a fulfilling casual/iphone game. That doesn't mean one doesn't exist, though. The closest thing I can think of is probably Sword and Sworcery. But games like that are rare.

While I do think the 60$ price tag is numbered, I don't think there will be a decline in demand for a meaty gamers game.

which is why this new Kickstarter trend is awesome.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another article I should have closed when I saw the Angry Birds vs. Call of Duty comparison.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's really Angry Birds vs. the void left by the death of licensed movie and kids games. This is a good thing.

The decline of Nintendo hardware sales look pretty bad for retail numbers but we all know how Nintendo was the only company reaping any benefit, 3rd party Wii developers suffered.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Typed a long ass post, decided this made more sense.

Linked article is dumb.

Short answer: on the surface, games will get cheaper.

Long answer: Not really. Segmenting games and selling those components individually will bring down the upfront costs, but high-end game experiences (Mass Effect, Halo, CoD) might even end up costing more in the future, even with the death of physical media/retailers. Marketing/business is not going to give those up.

Steam, XBL and PSN are already selling good quality games for $20 or less.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Devaluing games isnt exactly a good thing from a business standpoint.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We as an industry just need to keep our budgets down.

I'm not a fan of the 60 dollar pricepoint.

I think 40 max. 20 is a sweetspot.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    absolutely agree...

the thing is if were giving people film like experiences i think a film like price tag and a film like length (for single player) is perfectly acceptable

journey was perfectly priced.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    yep. I have bought several high pitched $60 games and with the exception of Wow always regretted it. I then decided i would not buy a new game until it got to $29.99..

Now it has to be an exceptional game for me to buy it at that price, hence I have done more bargain hunting...

Two days ago I got a brand new copy of Borderlands collector edition for 6.22 (plus $4 shipping). No problem waiting a year plus for a game that i only want for the art style.

Got to love Amazon.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Problem is, games are one of those products you can't really get a 'best market knowledge' of what it will be.

For example, if you go and buy a Hair-Dryer, it will look, work and do the same stuff as dryers did over the years, nuff said, same with cars.

Games, even something as basic as FPS has WAY too many variables. For example, is the SP solid? Does it teach something or is it tacked on? What about MP? Is it ranked? How are the unlocks? Does it have them or are they hierarchy event based? What is the life-time of the game? Coop? Is it mission based from SP? Can it be tagged with MP modes? How is the shooting mechanic? Do guns have recoil or not? Is it physics based or arcadey? Etc.

Their kinda like food to be honest, really hard to put into perspective, and with so many of them coming out which overlap in what they offer in terms of taste, it can get daunting.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Games, even something as basic as FPS has WAY too many variables. For example, is the SP solid? Does it teach something or is it tacked on? What about MP? Is it ranked? How are the unlocks? Does it have them or are they hierarchy event based? What is the life-time of the game? Coop? Is it mission based from SP? Can it be tagged with MP modes? How is the shooting mechanic? Do guns have recoil or not? Is it physics based or arcadey? Etc.

Waiting a month or two and using google will answer pretty much all of those questions.

Actually, for me it's a hell of a lot harder to buy a good vacuum than it is to buy a good game.

I don't see the $60 game going anywhere. I think we'll see the $20-30 release games disappear before we see the $60 games gone.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with Ace. Value for games it's very subjective. For me Mass Effect 3 was worth 60 bucks, for other people it wasn't worth even 20. You can't put a price tag that will fit all games IMO.

Back to the original post. Yahoo article???
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Angry Birds vs COD is such an extreme comparison.

For me..I have a hard time keeping up with newer games $60 games. I'm so far behind on games...because games like skyrim, mass effect, gta, etc...are so involved and take so much effort to get through.

I, for one..would be more than happy to pay $30-$40 or a $30-$40 quality game. I still would like to have the occasional epic game, like a mass effect game..at a higher price point...but does every game I pick up have to be an epic, life stealing experience?

I feel like a lot of indie games are hitting that area of mid ranged, mid quality games right now, and it seems to be doing well for them.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Games wouldn't be so much or cost as much to develop if they sold the campaign separately. I really dont care about BF, COD, or Halos campaign, I buy them for the multiplayer.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have not bought a 60 dollar game in years, i always wait for steam sale its just to expensive and there i no protection for buyers anymore. Stop worrying about piracy your not going to stop it, by wasting money on antipiracy thats all your doing wasting money.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    Games wouldn't be so much or cost as much to develop if they sold the campaign separately. I really dont care about BF, COD, or Halos campaign, I buy them for the multiplayer.

SP=$30
    MP=$30

So how would you price all the games that only have SP? 30 bucks for a Skyrim or an Arkaham City? I don't think so.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    But people don't wait 2-3 months most of the time (which is something I never understood), and publishers almost always 'rake' in the number of the game in the first week or two if it was 'good' or a 'bad' deal for the publishers, I think so far, only a couple of companies have really said "Oh, you know what, we sold about 1.1 million copies of our game so far, 4 months in, it's pretty cool, we're not in a rush".

So there certainly a little of a conundrum here with what people want, use and enjoy vs. what publisher take from these numbers.

60$ games won't disappear, no way, but I wouldn't be surprised if with Kickstarters happening around alot, they end up making so that you 'donation' gives a nice discount to the 60$ price tag, this will also knock some sense into many Publisher and Developers (and I'm not really happy to say this, but ti must be said).

At that point, I'm not sure if big time publishers can make 60$ games anymore...
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally I dont think games should have a set price. Companies should value them at what they want to value them at so theres more competition in prices. Its too easy for crappy games to be worth 60$ since its so normal. Skyrim, BF3, Halo and all other top of the line games are worth 60% but games like dead rising and L4D werent.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    games is all about experiences.
    so the price should be depending on how much content I want see in that game.

if I want just casual gaming, then Im gonna play angry bird,
    but if I want cinematic, epic storyline , top notch graphic experience, then I will play uncharted, MGS, bioshock which is usually 60$ price. ( but I rarely pay this price >_<)
    if i want 2d RPG then I play old school style games in steam, usually between 5-10$.
    if i want to spend more than 60, then I will play WOW or any kind of long run premium game ( oh yes someone actually spent more than 10.000 for some premium mmo or even so called casual facebook game).

one the best value I ever paid is minecraft

so yea I agree that nobody should set a standard price for games.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nobody should set a standard price for games.
    Nobody does. I paid $60 for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, anyone can buy it now for $30. The price of games declines as sales taper off and will always reduce to a point where you can justify buying it. You just have to wait.

What people are really arguing about is not the price of games, it's the launch price. Which is entirely a value judgement and entitlement issue over when people "should" be able to buy things at the price they want which is totally irrelevant and completely subjective.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Bibendum wrote: »
    The price of games declines as sales taper off and will always reduce to a point where you can justify buying it. You just have to wait.

Unless we're talking Nintendo's franchises, in which case the price will stay exactly the same until at least 5 years later when it gets put into a classic series...
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    I still find myself almost exclusively buying collectors editions for the extra material for games that i really want if i can get them, but otherwise like some others have mentioned ill never pay full price for a game, ill wait until it drops down to 20 - 30 max.

Incidentally, if you guys think 60 is high, down here in AU a brand new release game from your average store EB / JBHIFI can still set us back anywhere from $90 - $110. Which is absolutely rediculous considering the AU dollar is higher than the US and has been so at least since i left California ( 1 AU will buy about a 1.03US ) - The developers sure as hell dont get that extra 50 - 60 bucks so wtf AU.

I almost feel like telling every single person who shops in those stores here, that its possible to get exactly the same product delivered to your door for half that price online. Because I absolutely do not support any store that would sell me a product for twice what its actually worth just because they can.

The counter to my own argument is that I remember when a Ultima IV for my Sega Master System cost me $140 as a new release! So prices have definitely dropped over time.

Bottom line, I think 60 is too much to pay for even the best quality game. Its probably not too much to pay for a limited or collectors edition that comes with an art book and a few other bits and pieces however.

The reason I feel this way is because traditionally the developer doesnt get enough of that money IMO - I think from the average 60 dollar game a developer gets about 12 bucks or about 20%. ( Based on Pachters breakdown )

I would love to know how or even if that that scales when games drop in price, or how / if that changes for using steam etc.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Sometimes I buy games new at high prices but nowadays I find myself putting it off until they become super cheap. Right now no Iphone game can compete with a full AAA title in my book.

I have a list beside me of all the games I've yet to play but will do once they've become cheap. LBP2, SMG2, Uncharted trilogy.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    That report to me seems to grossly side step the fact that triple A titles have a very different target market to games like Angry Birds. Hard core gamers aren't going to stop buying expensive games when on those you can make clans, enjoy larger content with better graphics. Then there's the fact that e-sports is still a growing industry and they really don't care about a games price tag.

As for splitting prices on SP from MP, it would never work because games that are single player only will not only be unfairly effected but no studio is going to make an expensive campaign avoiding profit. A single player campaign like in BF3 might be everyone's cup of tea but it was dam expensive to make, developers need their wages for all those hours and that's why $60 is a fair price.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I'd love to pay only $60 for a game. They cost about $90 here in the UK.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've thought a lot about this recently. And I'm not really sure how unfair the Angry Birds vs. CoD is tbh.... I think it's something that really needs to be considered. The main event that really got me thinking about "value" was League of Legends. For anyone that doesn't know, League of Legends is a MOBA (the game genre that spawned from the Defense of the Ancients(DOTA) mod from Warcraft 3) that has a massive player base.

League of Legends is free. Completely. You sign up for an account, and get access to this awesome game. I've only played for a few days, but there is a ton of value and replayability. It has no single player. And it's been financially very successful. So why even bother with $30, $20, $10? I think some companies should really think harder about free to play. When I bought BF3, I knew for a fact I was only going to play multi. That's $60 for multiplayer... Now I'm playing LoL, for free, and having a better, more polished experience. Another cool f2p game is Jetpack Joyride on iOS. Really simple but polished game that I've sunk at least a couple hours into.

I used to be a bit down/opposed to free to play stuff. But over the last year or so I've played a bunch of f2p stuff that's been very worthwhile. I think $60 is way way too much.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    At the end of the day Modern Warfare 3 was the biggest selling media product of all time for one day sales, the $60 really didn't put most people off buying it.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And its pretty sad. Cant wait till GTA 5 beats that record just like GTA 4 did
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    me neither...

but that 60$ price point will stop alot of less hardcore gamers... and sorry i dont have the memory or will to keep an eye out for the price to decrease. I will rather buy a game when everyones talking about it OR borrow it later if i remember to. rare that i buy an older game...and i think this goes for alot of the less-glued to computer people out there... how many extra people go and see avatar in 3d that wopuld really normally go and see that sort of film just because its the "buzz"
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I bought BF3, I knew for a fact I was only going to play multi. That's $60 for multiplayer...

....I think $60 is way way too much.
    This kind of embodies most of these articles because you say $60 is "way way too much" but you paid it anyway, knowing full well you'd only even play a portion of the game.

Everybody wants things cheaper/better/sooner. I bet if you asked anybody who lined up to pay peak price for MW3 on launch day if they thought games were too expensive most of them would say yes. Then they'd get to the register and pay $60 + tax for one.

"Too expensive" is the price that, above which, you're not willing to buy the game. So long as everyone is still buying games for $60 it really doesn't matter what they say about the price of games because their actions speak the real truth.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    ambershee wrote: »
    I'd love to pay only $60 for a game. They cost about $90 here in the UK.

You may don't know about play.com, zavvi.com or other stores... but the fact is that i buy all my games from UK... and in € they are the cheapest in the EU.

I bought COD MW3 for just 22 € man... and with free shipping. And Deus Ex: Human Revolution Limited edition for just only 15 euros, and one month later of the release. Skyrim preorder 28€, and if go on with games... i would not stop :).

I also have preordered 2 copies of diablo 3 for 60 euros. I have NEVER paid more than 32 euro for a game (retail).
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I paid $100 for Doublefine Adventure Game and Shadowrun Returns
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Ideally all games would be under $20. The last game I bought for over $10 was bf3, and before that portal2, and that was when I was working full time. I guess different people have different values for games, but I would only play most games for a few hours at the most, so $60 is way over priced, even if I was rich. The exception to that is something like bf3 or tf2 that has a lot of replay value.

Another thing I hate is the idea that all singleplayer games need X hours of gameplay and story, instead of just making an entertaining experience with no care of how long it is. This would cut development costs, assure the game is 100% fun (no filler), allow for lower prices without "devaluing" games, and for people like me would actually be more enjoyable and rewarding because they could actually finish it. Its hard to justify spending any money on a game if I know Im not even going to want to finish it just because its so long.

I think The Free2Play title is a curse. Sure its possible to make a good free to play model, but that is rare, so people feel like if a game says "Free2Play" its a bad game experience unless you pay, even if thats not really true. Even knowing that I still almost never try a free2play game even if it actually looks pretty good. A good example of this is that Hawken game, I almost completely lost interest when I heard it was going to be "Free2Play", even though I know nothing about what will actually be microtransaction. I would be much more interested if the game was available for for $10 or $15 or even $20, even if they also had some non gameplay effecting micro transactions. That being said, Im still a lot more likely to play a free to play game than something with a monthly fee, or even something that costs $60.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find it hard to imagine a game like Skyrim or GTA5 making any money at a $20 price tag.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? I know a shitton of more people would buy them on the spot instead of waiting till christmas or when they have the money and overall forgetting about the game. Once the hype is gone the pressure to play it wears off as life comes back in.

$60 is alot to ask for to a child at the store. $20 is really nothing. If 3 people bought the game at $60, 8-10 would probably buy it at $20 on release week. If youre in college or just moved out, $60 is missing a bill that month. So they usually just dont get it and forget about it over time. Adults 25+ will buy them but lets be real - the adult market is probably the smallest.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J wrote: »
    I find it hard to imagine a game like Skyrim or GTA5 making any money at a $20 price tag.

While I consider 'world exploration games' an exception to the rule; Skyrim did sell over 10 million copies. That's a lot of money even at 20 bucks.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is true^ But also think about the people who have never played an elder scrolls game. Theyre iffy on spending $60 on a no return product if they don't like it, so they just wont get it. $20 means more people buy it, more people talk about it, more people buy it out of pressure and "oh its only $20", more people like it, repeat. The cycle continues.

And game stores like gamestop wont make as much profit at all. Not to mention the amount of pirating itll reduce. I have friends who pirate big games but own mount and blade, tf2, css, and GTA 4 when it was on the $10 steam sale.

So the way I see it its

$60
    Less sales
    More pirates
    Less publicity

$20
    More sales
    Less pirates
    More publicity

Not only that id really be interested if publishers fought over quality and price. Getting L4D for $60 just because of the sheer fact that its a game and games are all $60 is bullshit.

Thats like all sodas being $2, even the watered down crap.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of pirates will do it no matter what. People pirate the humble bundles.

Regarding the average of gamers if I remember correctly it was between 25-40. So it's adults with money the ones that are playing the most.

I want games to be cheaper, don't get me wrong, but at the same time I want developers to have good budgets and have the incentive to create better, original games. If all games being 20 bucks, mid size games will struggle even more vs the GTA's and the COD's.
    Think about it. If they were 20 bucks. I would buy COD, Madden, GTA for 60 bucks but I don't have more time to play those games. So now all my game time is occupied by the triple AAA games. No room for Darksiders, for Warhammer, etc.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know any adults over 25 that play games. I know many teenagers and younger kids that do. For PC the adult statistic is probably more true because of the hardware knowledge, but I doubt it for consoles.

Actually
    medium_30f9b8e237d7dcfd593f785e15165d22.jpg

So nearly half of the customers are people that are tight on money, and theyre also the most social because of schooling. So lowering prices would cause more discussion and more sales, because its cheap to TRY now :P

If one game company decided to release their next game for $20 it would be a revolution. If the next COD game was $20 I would get it even though I hate COD with a burning passions since everything after WaW.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I dont know any adults over 25 that play games.

wat
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Other than online of course, my guild leader in wow is a 65 yr old woman. Lol.

I have never met someone over 25 that still plays games. They may own a console but its just in a closet.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    wat
    I'm guessing he's a kid and just doesn't know many people over the age of 25...
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have many friends and I know their parents...?

the adults that think $60 for a VIDEO GAME (how it sounds to their ears) is ridiculous is higher than the adults that play the games themselves im sure.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Other than online of course, my guild leader in wow is a 65 yr old woman. Lol.

I have never met someone over 25 that still plays games. They may own a console but its just in a closet.

I'm 26 ahhh!!! lol

I'm very surprised you find that rare. Every gaming community I have ever been part of has an average age of 28 on FPS games. Take a look at large clans like TAW, over 900 BF3 players, vast numbers of them over 30.

Back to the main subject though, I don't think your really considering the cost of making a game enough in making this point about certain games being cheaper. What about the over heads, license costs, wages on hours, fines for missed deadlines.

One of the first things I ever learned at uni is how little goes back to the developer from sales so undercutting other developers just doesn't work and comes with risk no one wants to take.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I said online its common, I mean in real life :P In real life every kid or college kid knows what COD is, I don't know many parents who do even though their kids own it.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    I said online its common, I mean in real life :P In real life every kid or college kid knows what COD is, I don't know many parents who do even though their kids own it.

Sorry I don't get what you mean by "real life" lol.

I don't get how you are splitting it. Do you mean you don't know many people who play SP only games who are over 25?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No I mean locally every young persons friend and friends of friends plays or has played games actively at one point and most still do.

26 or 28 is like a new doctor, I can't imagine them going home and playing call of duty :P I know it happens its just I never play games with my friends parents, but I have no problem playing games with 60 yr olds obviously. My arena partner was also 34 in WoW.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    I don't know that could be a generalisation, your really just guessing what the doctor does at home lol. But anyway what about the overheads on games and how that effects the price, what are your views on that?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most top games come out making wayyyy more than they put in developing. Thats really relative to popularity. Why should a game they spent less on automatically be sold at $60? The quality is obviously going to be less than your monies worth and less people will buy it. I doubt mirrors edge took long to develop because it was an arcade style game, less people bought it than they would of if multiplayer/coop had been added or a more gripping story let alone more replay value. EA decided not to make a sequel. Had mirrors edge been $20 im sure many more people would have bought it and enjoyed it, mostly because the demo was so popular but people saw it wasnt worth $60

Personally I think the main thing with $20-$30 games is it provokes impulse buying from pressure and popularity.

Hell I own gta 4 for xbox and I also rebought it for pc during that $10 sale because I know a deal when I see one, and I wouldnt mind having it in my library. No matter the convenience, I refuse to buy COD again for easier access, because its still $60.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    wtf??

My mom is a 70 year old Korean woman, who wakes up at 6am, plays Ma-Jong with her friends, spends the rest of her day watches korean dramas, and even she knows what Call of Duty is.