Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Summer Project

Hello!

I am a first time poster, long time reader of the Polycount forum. I have just completed my second year of college in Game Development at Durham College. I want to use my free time over the summer to do some personal projects, in an attempt to get my portfolio in good shape by the end of my third year. I'm going to be posting images of some of the work I'll be doing over the next few months.

PLEASE ANYONE all comments and critiques are welcome!

Thanks!

Replies

• Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just completed this creature a few weeks ago, as a final project for my modelling class. I used Marmoset to render it out.

Here are some silhouettes. The one I chose for this creature was #10.
    Thumbnails.jpg
    Here are some action poses & orthographic views
    CreatureConcept01.jpg
    Ortho.jpg
    Here is the final render.
    CreatureStills.jpg
    Wire frame w/ topo. & texture count.
    CreatureStillsWire.jpg
    Texture sheets
    CreatureTextureSheet.jpg
    Thanks! ALL COMMENTS & CRITIQUES WELCOME
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    One thing that is really missing from the final model is the accentuation of the inward curved spine. That is what makes the thumbnail so dynamic. The texture work is also very plain. Maybe try accentuating certain areas with color. Maybe something like this from fellow polycounter Dim:
    01-alienBustSculptBodyFront.jpg
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Hm I definitely agree with the curved spine comment. Also the pose is fairly bland, and wouldn't too hard to improve. It'd be sweet if you posed it like in your more refined drawing (with the staff ) (:
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for taking the times guys, ya i can see what you're saying about the spine arch, it kind of got lost along the pipeline. I'm going to try and go back into the mesh and define it more. As for the textures I'm gonna go back in and touch it up, create some variation in colour. That Dim alien bust is pretty awesome. I'm going through the process right now of trying to rig my char, been following some tutorials online. (If anyone knows of any good rigging tutorials they'd be greatly appreciated).

Thanks again!
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    Love texture and the lighting :) good job
  • Ghostman511