Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Futuristic Recon Trooper

Hello,

For the next 6 weeks I will be making a next gen game character, including the mesh (12 500 - 15 000 tris), Textures (2048x2048 beauty - 512x512 optimised), rig and animations.

My schedule is as follows:

Week 1: Concepting.

Week 2-3 (at the latest): Modelling

Week 4: Texturing

Week 5: Rig and animation

Week 6: grace period and Final Submission

I will be posting WIP Images of where I am up to throughout the 6 week period.

My concept is of a futuristic, fast, light recon trooper (hopefully cyborgish). The persona will be lightly armoured, and will emphasise speed and mobility to avoid detection and danger.

I have chosen a female persona, as before now, I have never modelled a woman and would like the experience to do so.

The following are some of my concepts (which will be updated as I finish them).

First rough concept:

ReconAndroid.jpg

Orothgraphic in progress:

character_otho.jpg

Any feedback and/or advice will be greatly appreciated!

---

G'roy

Replies

• blackdragno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to see more variant in different recon suits. :D
    But its looking good tho,
  • waf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waf
    Cool concept for the most part, but without some kind of feet there to support the body, it feels odd to me. Animals in nature that have legs like this naturally (crabs/lobsters) have multiple legs to shift their weight on. If she were to dash and then stop with her weight biased on one foot, I feel she'd fall down.

I think prosthetic running legs would fit right into your model quite well

1220942845814_1220942845814_r.jpg
  • Sojumekju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sojumekju polycounter lvl 5
    Well the first thing i notice is that the legs are anatomically incorrect, unless your character has no feet and stubs for legs then it doesnt make sense, either way it doesnt look appealing. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you might have got the idea from blazblue nu? if not then check out how they do it anyway. You need to first define where her feet WOULD go, and then draw the armor around it. Also, although it is a concept try add some more detail into the design, the suit atm just looks like a one piece bathing suit than a futuristic soldiers gear.

Other than that you could do a lot more with this. The sillhouette does not reflect that of a woman. They are generally more curvy, look up some references.

Anyway keep at it and keep refining.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Jehuty, look up leg reference from there.
  • Dani McOrrie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love your idea - but something doesnt look right about the figure...
    then again i think above posts have nailed it.

My comment is now invalid..
  • G'roy Sheehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback!
    I haven't really done much 2D drawing before so I understand about the horrible anatomy.
    I was aiming for rocket legs - where she would stay hovering, but I see how the legs need to be fleshed out to meet the proportions of normal legs and needs some form of 'footpad' to be stationary and brake on land.

I actually have never played or seen anything from Blazblu, and have never heard of Zone of the Enders, but I can see how their characters 'rocket legs' still follow the rough dimensions of a human leg.
    I will also change the body suit to reflect a soldiers gear. I will try to get some reference from military forces and try to incorporate common features into the suit.

Thanks for all the feedback, I will incorporate this into a new revised concept and post it later.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You should look up some Videos with gameplay from it. Jehuty basically has 'collapse-able' calf's, once one ground, a segment behind the leg will extend as 'feet'.

Example of what I mean, it's a pretty cheap looking model, but this is the best I could find as of now, the original design is much better implemented.

kotobukiya_jehuty001.jpg
  • G'roy Sheehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's a little update on my concept:
    redesign_v005.jpg

Not sure if I will keep the colour scheme as is, but it has the 'feel' I want.

Just a little heads up on the feet,
    foottransform.jpg
    This shows how I want the feet to collapse when the Persona changes from ground to 'flight' mode.

Finally the orthographics.
    Ortho_ReconTroop002.jpg
    I did change the helmet in the orthos on a whim, but I do like the helmet better than the previous one. I simplified the jet pack wings a bit and added a fuel tank (cylinder thing) to the bottom of the jet pack for 'practical' reasons. Also the things on her hips are thrusters that can 180degree pivot to provide additional speed, or emergency brakes.

The bodysuit material will look like the crysis nanosuit - with the cable muscle contours.

I will be moving on to start blocking out the model in 3D today. So I will keep you posted.

Any ideas on colour schemes, or materials for the suit or armour will be welcome.
  • ClamJam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super awesome dude!.
    i really like how you've constructed your new concept.
    looking forward to it.
  • G'roy Sheehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just some WIP images from yesterday:

wiporth.jpg

wippersp.jpg

I am presently working on the arms now. Really need more high poly experience, but I am enjoying the challenges. I want to have the textures done soon, and I will struggle though rigging later on.

---
    G'roy
  • G'roy Sheehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Retopo'd the hips of my character. New one has the white lines:

hiptopo.jpg

hiptopo2.jpg
  • G'roy Sheehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for not posting in a while. Here is an update of my completed model.
    perp_model.jpg

And some topology orthos:

front_model.jpg
    side_model.jpg

I still need to texture, and I will redo my Uvs (most likely), so i'm fairly far behind.
    But look on the bright side!

I did this rig with IK to FK blend on the arms in 1 day! (and it works!)

persp_rig.jpg

Just going to add some more set driven keys for the hands and jet wing flaps.

Stay posted!!!

---
    G'roy
  • G'roy Sheehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have finally finished the rig with ik?fk switch and blend shapes!!!!

rigdone.jpg

Check out these cool wing flap sdks!

wingsflaps.jpg

Had to do an old dodgy fix on these because when I tried a test skin, the sdks (or rig) bugged out and the wing flaps would gain stupid rotations (yes I froze transforms) and fly off into space. So I groups the flaps and orient constrained them to the chest joint. It seems to have worked, but I guess I'll find out later.

chararig.jpg

so that's my character in her rig. I will be burning through the next few days as I am far behind, and I still need to texture, skin, and animate the model.

Hoping it will come out ok If it doesn't I will just redo it in my spare time until I get to a result I'm happy with.

---
    G'roy
  • G'roy Sheehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've done all the skinning for the model, and am now animating (fairly badly) the character. The textures are also finished.
    Once the animations are done I will optimise the textures for game and export the kfs and niffs. 'Beauty' render might be up later if it looks good enough.
    I would like to revisit this character later on once I can texture better and know how to use Zbrush.
  • G'roy Sheehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, here is a video of my completed model:

http://youtu.be/OILipdiP-OU

Any feedback would be nice!

Thanks for helping me on the journey of creation!

---
    G'roy