Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modded M4a1 - C&C welcome

Hey everyone! I'm currently working on a model of a modded m4a1 and thought I'd share to get some feedback on it.

m4_image.jpg

Luckily I own the gun above (it's a replica airsoft gun). It's extremely helpful holding the real thing in hand while I'm modeling. Though I've also been using images off Google for reference on an unmodded m4a1.

Here is my progress so far. Mostly just a block out.

wip_02.jpg

Replies

• Ric3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good so far. Really cool that you own a replica. Keep up the good work!
  • Skummel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    model's looking good man, good use of Y-branches and dem curves towards the rear are looking nice. Keep it up mang!
  • boggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on my progress. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Here is the other side of the receiver. I had a hard time with it but ended up not to bad. The flap for the bolt can be flipped down as well but it's closed in this screen.

f2m92.jpg

cihAx.jpg
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really neat. Good start
  • boggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while but here is the latest update. I finished the UVs and started to do some texturing.

So far the low poly is just under 6k polys.

Any C&C would be much appreciated! :D

rtZrW.jpg

UO70s.jpg
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THIS IS THE BIGGEST TURD I'VE EVER SEEN!!!!

dont quit your day job

have you tried basket weaving?

LOL jk he's in my class nobody freakout. I just like to give him crap. Seriously though this turned out pretty good. The grip looks a little noisy/intense though.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Those yellow warning strips do not match up with the weapon. It looks random and out of place.
    The grip and stock have way to much noise on them, in turn, they don't read well.
    The magazine colour looks out of place, compared to the rest of the weapon.

Keep going at this, looking cool! :)
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    yellow paint doesnt really work.

also, the grip seems to be kinda edgy. grips are usually smooth to maximize comfort and usability.

and the plastic parts need some more work.. the white noise is way too much. you should tone down the noise to about 10%, then go about adding some larger detail to the plastic parts.
  • boggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input guys! I'll be working on this and update it with some improvements soon. Yea I'm thinking about extending the yellow stripes to the top part of the receiver as well to make it blend better overall but I'll play with it.

I wanted to give the feeling of ownership to the gun and really don't know why I thought some caution stripes would fit but I'll play with some designs. I'll focus on the grip/stock for now though.

Thanks!