Home General Discussion

I just got my first paid job offer and I'd like some input

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Slaught polycounter lvl 18
Thread title says it all.

I finally got my first paid job offer and I was hoping to get some tips from you professionals. :)

The head of a small company contacted me with a proposition, they want me to create one model with modular hair styles, accessories and textures for 3d printing.
They are in negotiations with a bigger company for licenses to produce products based on their franchise.

I'm not sure if they plan to sell the 3d prints directly or if they'll use them to make resin figures or whatever.

I will be working from home and I think charging per finished model would probably work best for me.

Now, since this would be my first paid job, I'd like to know a few things:
-What would be an acceptable price for a finished model?
-Are there some do's and don'ts I need to be aware of?
-What could go wrong?

I'm grateful for any comments! :)

Replies

• EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    This may help for determining the price:
    http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/
  • Eric Chadwick
    First paid job, you'll get underpaid or maybe not paid at all, and you'll sign over all your rights. No biggie though; it's a good learning experience.

I highly recommend this book for freelancers. Good to read before they send you their contact to sign. Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines. An excellent resource on a great range of employment issues for commercial artists. Pricing guidelines, legal info, copyright law, sample contracts, how to negotiate, etc.

Check out the thread Freelance rates query.

If you're doing a 3d print model, make sure you research the tech specs. Model has to be airtight, spaces between interlocking parts should have ample room, what kind of undercuts the printer supports, etc. There are some threads around about this, worth a search.

Congrats and best of luck!
  • battlecow
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    In Europe beginners rate is about 300€per day, and by day I mean 8 hours max (anything less unless its a long time contract or you are really shit, which you are not, is not acceptable)
    So you do the maths :) But for the love of God (or Satan) make a contract and have them sign it before you do any actual work. Include some iterations in it (like 2 or 3) but anything more : you bill it. Don't get fucked...It hurts...trust me.

If its your design, include a royalty agreement in it, don't give it away for free.

If they start to try to pressure you, they're unprofessional and full of shit.

Oh yea and if you bill the value added tax, its on top of your price.
    (10 days of work : 3000€ +19% = 3570€)

Don't be afraid to say fuck you if you feel you're getting screwed, your time will be better spent finding another client or improving your skills.

You have to be tough if you plan on making a living of your work, they are no friends in business.

Assholes who live at their parents and bill 100€ a day and make shitty work can go kill themselves
  • Slaught
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    @EmAr
    Thanks, I'll check it out :)

@Eric Chadwick

Thank you. :)
    Very helpful, especially that Freelance Rates thread.

@battlecow
    Wow, that's a lot more than I was expecting, I don't think they want to pay me per hour, but per finished model though.
    I still have to figure out what exactly they expect from me but I didn't want to go into that conversation completely unprepaired and those are some very good points, thank you!
  • okkun
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    battlecow wrote: »
    In Europe beginners rate is about 300€per day, and by day I mean 8 hours max (anything less unless its a long time contract or you are really shit, which you are not, is not acceptable)
    So you do the maths :) But for the love of God (or Satan) make a contract and have them sign it before you do any actual work. Include some iterations in it (like 2 or 3) but anything more : you bill it. Don't get fucked...It hurts...trust me.

If its your design, include a royalty agreement in it, don't give it away for free.

If they start to try to pressure you, they're unprofessional and full of shit.

Oh yea and if you bill the value added tax, its on top of your price.
    (10 days of work : 3000€ +19% = 3570€)

Don't be afraid to say fuck you if you feel you're getting screwed, your time will be better spent finding another client or improving your skills.

You have to be tough if you plan on making a living of your work, they are no friends in business.

Assholes who live at their parents and bill 100€ a day and make shitty work can go kill themselves

That's way too high for a beginner. It's almost $400/US per day which is something like 90k/year
  • Gestalt
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    @battlecow That comes out to about $60 per hour, which is stupidly high for a beginning freelancer. From my previous research on the topic, what seems like a pretty standard rate is $30 per hour, which imo is quite good if you have regular work. Of course everything is variable depending on your cost of living.