Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Head Modelling Topology

I'm attempting to model a head and I'm just looking for some feedback on my topology.

heres some screengrabs from max.

render1o.jpg

render2h.jpg

render3r.jpg

render4y.jpg

render5p.jpg

Any crits would be much appreciated, Thanks :)

%20target=_blank%3Erender2h.jpg

Replies

• Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure what your goals are for this model, but if you're strictly asking about topology, then you should check out this page..

http://www.hippydrome.com/MeshDesignFace.html

also Stop Staring has a lot of good theory, both of these are assuming that you want the face to articulate as opposed to just being a static mesh- and if that's the case then your topology doesn't really matter
  • Le0n2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to be animatable and i'm going to do some stuff with morph targets. Thanks thats a really good resource!
  • darthwilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look into examples of good face rigs and check out their topology. Prob the best solution I can think of!
  • Le0n2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Used that resource to come up with better topology and i've done some sculpting some more crits for this stuff as well please :)

Created two heads a male and female with the topology plan.

Male
    topology1.jpg
    topology2.jpg
    Female
    topology4.jpg
    topology5.jpg

Some sculpting progress!

Male
    rerendersculpt1.jpg
    rerendersculpt2.jpg

rerendersculpt4.jpg
    rerendersculpt5.jpg

Any help will be much appreciated really trying to get good at this, i'm going to be doing a body study next and hopefully get a good topology base mesh to build loads of characters from. Thanks again.
  • Le0n2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some stuff i've been doing with morph targets :) Theres a slight problem with a seam the AO on the top of the head but that should be cleared up when theres hair on the model/texturing.

Male Wireframe and AO expressionsexpressionmalebaked1.jpg
    expressionmalebaked2.jpg
    Female Wireframes/AO expressions
    expressionfemalebaked1.jpg
    expressionfemalebaked2.jpg

Ty for any crits :)
  • ah_lex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've got an inequality in the size of the quads compared from say adam's apple compared to cheek, and if you can spend the faces on the philtrum and iris then surely you can find more for the eyelids that are very obviously faceted and could be improved in the sculpt and topology.

Neither of the head's are realistic, they both are stylised to an extent, I assume that's the intent.
    The female character isn't very feminine, her eyes are too wide and almond. There's an error above her left eye where it's lumpy. You might want to sculpt eyebrows? The lips on both models are the weakest area shape-wise, you've also not put enough time into the ears, the shape isn't too bad but the surface looks like it's been poorly sculpted.
    You've got quite a lot of pores but not really seeing motor wrinkles around the lips and eyes. Kill the female neck wrinkle symmetry, it looks lazy.

All that said it's promising and I like the male head, it's looking pretty nice.
  • Le0n2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update.
    lips2o.jpglipsq.jpg
    lips3.jpg
    I've gone back to sculpting to try and correct some of the problems you state ah_lex starting with the Lips.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Leon, I think it'd be a good idea to look here: Polycount Wiki on Face Topology

Try to look at some more references and match your sculpt to those refs.
  • Le0n2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have looked quite a lot at that thread and used quite a lot of references that wiki gives. Kind all of them have applied to my model but i have had some trouble getting it right. I'll work on the topology during the retopology, i'll post some progress.
  • ah_lex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That last example is much better but I think the shape of the obicular oris is not quite prominent enough. Its a bit flat with a central peak rather than more rounded. The edges of the mouth could go down slight amount although this is dependant on age a lot of the time.