Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Suggestions on improving the texture

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
Hello, I'm creating a floor texture that should resemble to the one you can see in the concept art below.My problem is that I don't know what kind of material it is,its resembling on marble but I'm not sure how to get one to look good as I never done marble texture.The texture has normal and specular map but I'm not sure if specular map is good enough. So could anyone share some tutorials,suggestion and critiques with me?

Concept art is from Assassins Creed game.
assassin_officeinterior_hi.jpg

Currently texture looks like total crap.
tex.png

Replies

• Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I assume marble is just like stone, but with a much brighter spec - right now I can hardly tell your spec map is doing much, except for a few edge highlights I see. Maybe post your flats?
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the textures.I think that I'm going to have to redo the diffuse map.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Whoa, that spec is actually really bright, I think you just picked a bad angle in your screenshot or somethin'. If you are going to be making this scene in an engine, maybe try making your material for this in there. Imo, I don't really see what's wrong with your diffuse :0 Although I will say that in the concept, the tiles aren't completely straight next to each other like perfect squares, they are sortof staggered and some of them rectangular. Also you can pop some of them up and down in your model later.

I think maybe you are worrying too much for now :) Maybe just move on to blocking out the concept and come back to this.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm probably going to redo the texture in Zbrush because like you said that tiles shouldn't be aligned perfectly.The only thing bothering me now is what material is used for floor in concept art above it looks like marble because of reflections but the closer it gets to the wall it starts to resemble to stone.
  • Addi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like plastic in your viewport but it comes out alright in marmoset, maybe it is your lighting? Lower the glossiness and add environment map (if its marble)

marbletiles.png
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks pretty cool there so then problem is probably lighting and bad shaders.