Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted stuff

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
moiman100 polycounter lvl 11
Hi these are my first two models I have made and also textures are my first.
They are rendered in unity 3D. I havent polished the textures, just made them fastest I can. Crits and tips are much appreciated. =)
GdZUp.jpg
PSNu0.jpg
yWCjE.jpg
Ndmco.jpg
UFIum.jpg
NkwDl.jpg
jIheK.jpg
Y5zqz.jpg
And sorry for my possible bad english.

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    both textures are extremely un-efficient...you could half the size with no visual difference
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grats on your first two models! I agree with Shepeiro, you could probably make those textures smaller with no worries, give it a try.

I would suggest trying to get a little more contrast or deeper colours in that sword. I think the blues are to light. It looks like your going for a WoW type style. Grab a bunch of reference images and work from them. ALso post a collage of the reference up on here so we have something to compare them to.

For the barrel, try to darken a couple more of those strains in the wood (dont know the technical term). Just keep working from reference and im sure you'll improve fast!
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    While working on a handpainted textures it's always a good idea to look at the texture with self-illumination turned on. That way you can see how the texture works without any sort of lighting on the model. The idea being that if it looks good unlit it should look right lit.

Couple things to try with the sword
    -Sharper highlights on the metal
    -A gradual shift towards darker more saturated colors as you move further from the light source (ie down in your case) keep it subtle though
    -Don't be trying to add cracks cuts and chips into the blade until you've really defined the form and material of the blade, once you do those things will be far easier to paint in.
    -Get some good visible AO going where pieces of the sword connect to and overlap one another

There's more to do but those few points will get you off to a good start

Like Darkleopard said get some reference, look at how metal works IRL and look at how more handpainted styles portray it, look at games like WoW and Wildstar (what little's been released) as well as just actual painting.

Also +1 for the suggestion of making the textures more efficient
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    best way to present: in your 3d editor with shading sit to unlit/flat
  • moiman100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for those tips. I will try them when I'm on the mood. I'm just too lazy to pratice everyday.:)
  • moiman100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you think this has too many tris? Tris 420
    v53vV.png
    And reference image from WOWs website.
    weapon-axe-1h-nexus-d01-large.jpg
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    I'd say that's a decent amount of tris as long as each tri has a clear purpose the actual number doesn't matter too too much, unless you're trying to restrict yourself to a particular budget.
  • moiman100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started painting, its quite hard because Im not good to paint(yet). Also changed mesh little bit. Now 428 tris, but the lower gem looks much better from side. Texture is 512x512, I tried 256x256, but it starts to be pixelated. Ingame it would not distract. Thanks for comments! <(^_^)>
    V3Bij.jpg
    isVgu.jpg
  • moiman100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the axe and its better than I expected.
    CNv2u.gif
    Yn26q.png
    o18a2.jpg
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    If you look at the axe head on it's perfectly flat. You could add a bit more interest to it by bringing some elements out, like the gems and maybe model some of the spikes.
  • moiman100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry I didn't quite understand. Do you mean upper or lower part of the axe, because both parts have gem and spikes. And its not totally flat as you can see in this front side render.(Sorry about red line's roughnes, I just quickly draw it with mouse) By the way I use Blender.
    Dyo5k.jpg?1
    Z3bds.jpg