Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Swiss Revolver C&C please

Hi everybody I just started modeling a revolver (Swiss 1882 Ordnance Revolver) not too long ago and thought I'd throw it up here to see if yall had any feedback.

Heres some of my reference:
UcFBK.jpg

And heres what I've modeled so far:
pkgia.jpg

So far as I can tell I'm only missing a few doo-dads, I was thinking I'd just add those on then take it into zbrush sculpt in other details and use dynamesh to fuse some things together and boolean the hole for the hammer to reach the bullet and not worry about topology there too much.

Is that a bad idea? Should I go about it another way or am I on the right track?

Replies

• Ric3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like the gun model you chose. Good start will like to see what the end result is.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Hi, you have some inacurate parts.I'd suggest fix them while your mesh is not too dense !
    Pi478.jpg
  • Skummel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for your feedback respawnrt, I reworked the topology around the arc and curve area and detached the trigger guard from the rest of the mesh. For the fillet on the bottom I ended up removing it and tried to get a similar result by creasing the edges after smoothing it... after looking at it more right now I'm thinking I should have left the fillet there or creased it less haha. Anyway, how's it looking now? Anything I should change before taking it into Zbrush?

swiss2h.jpg
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, but you gotta nail that fillet :).
    So what's the plan, low poly ? normal map ?
    http://www.dandbmilitaria.com/images/D/swiss-1882-model-revolver-sn.531-%5B4%5D-6700-p.jpg
    jbiPVA3L1bFGnp.jpg
  • Skummel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, end result is gunna be a FPS game res model with normal maps baked onto it

I tried rounding out the base of the barrel where you can see the wireframe is a bit jagged, didn't really work though. I'm thinking I might be able to make it show with more edge loops down the length of the barrel? To have more verts to push around into a rounded edge.

Thats a good angle you found of the gun haha, I didnt find too many shots of the other side :P

I'm a little confused on the part where you marked "fix this" by the handle. What exactly needs to be done in that area?

Thanks again for all your help :)
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey i made you a tut, for that base.And even easier i noticed the barrel is not the same part of the body so cut it out !
    j3lar1DCCngiR.png
  • Skummel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks for the tut respawnrt it helped me a lot! I applied the same principle to the ammo cylinder and flattened certain areas to match the reference and got some waffle-y looking shading around the front rim but after pushing around some verts to smooth it a bit I think it's looking a lot better

ev579.jpg

And here's the back side:
    5MJY0.jpg
    I think I'll start texturing it now
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Your sharp edges are TOO sharp. Those won't be picked up in the normal map for the low res version. And thus are wasted time and effort. It feels weird to model in this way, but softer edges do contribute to more detail in the normals.

Please tell me you plan on making the sweet handle too?

This is a unique looking revolver by the way and would be fun to model.
  • Skummel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the heads up Quack! I'm not sure how smooth i should go without making it look too doughy what do you think of this? And yes Imma do the handle haha I kinda like the plastic handle better than the wood. Might be able to get away with painting a height map instead of modeling it in

sgx79.gif
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick test bake + first person view will be the only true way you know if the edges are loose enough. Pistols in game are small and lots of little details are just lost due to resolution so testing is the only way.
  • Skummel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just started painting my diffuse, had a few baking problems but i was able to fix em and paint over a few issues :P anyway here's where its at right now. Still very much a work in progress

gdE7N.jpg

As always any tips to make it look better are greatly appreciated :\
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i guess your grey is too light compared to the original metal ?
    Also pay atention to the wear and tear patterns..can you see them ? :)
    jCxhw71AmjeDb.png
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your spec is much more important then your diffuse here. Make sure that you are creating them at the same time. Your diffuse details will be relatively light on the wear and tear. Alot of your detail will just be unique to your spec.
  • Skummel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I darkened the metal a bit but was afraid of making it blend with the plastic handle too much. Hmm, seems like there's more wear and tear in these areas:
    3wyns.png
    And as Quack! pointed out, that wear would be more in the specular than in the diffuse.

Here's my first render of it, definitely wanna go back into the spec and give it some more gradient wear to it as well as some grain. Also my wire frame looks like its got some unnecessary polys
    Presentation2.jpg

I took some artistic liberties with the gratuitous blood splatter :poly114:
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You did a good job on this mang. Your grip turned out really well.
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good, but i wish you had decided to do the details on the grip. they're pretty unique.