Home Technical Talk

Blurry Low Res Texture In Viewport

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
I'm using Max 2012 with Xoliul shader and I can't seem to get rid of these edges to sharpen up in the viewport. original Texture is 256 x 256 . I have the Direct3D 9 shader configured to match texture size as close as possible. Does anyone have any way to fix this?

ViewPortBlur.jpg

Replies

• marc31
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marc31 polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, is my first post.
    I have not tried the 2012 version, but;
    If you go to:
    Customice>Preferences>Viewport > Display Drivers
    Configure driver, Apear Preferences.
    ¿What do you have in Download Texture Size?,¿512?

If you open that image in photoshop, or other photo software at the same zoom, ¿you see pixelated.?
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    You could change your texture filtering, but it will make everything pixelated (think of PS1 games). Either that, or what marc31 said. But with a 256x256 texture, if you're doing a lot of zoom there might not be much to be done about it :/

Oh and marc31, in English '¿' isn't used :P I see you're from Spain though (like me), so I guess you were just used to put them there.
  • marc31
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marc31 polycounter lvl 6
    Yes, I am from Spain. Sorry for my terrible English.
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    @Marc31:

I did a bit of research before posting this thread and the internet recommended that I do exactly what you just said. Didn't fix it.

As for the texture in photoshop, here's a screengrab of the texture zoomed in to the area shown on the model. As you can see, there's no blurring present.

DiffuseScreengrab.jpg

@Mik2121:

When you say it will make everything look pixelated, do you mean the texture or the outline of the model? I'm actually interested in going for a pixelated look for the texture, so how would I go about changing my texture filtering?
  • caucow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do not know if you are still working on this project but I was screwing around with my display driver settings and found something rather interesting. For both of our uses we want to make a large object with a low res texture but it blurs the texture with the default driver. Suggestion: Use the OpenGL driver.
    Example of an 8x8 pixel texture on a game character model created in 3DS Max:
    Unblurred_Steve.png