Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fighting Trees, poster art

Hi guys!

A friend of mine recommended this site to show of some of my work, so I thought I would post one of my pieces here and see what you guys think. I'm a Master student doing Computer Games Art and I'm specializing in environment.

Next month I'm joining a student exhibition and need to stand out a bit in order to get noticed by industry people :)

My image is a piece I spend about 4 months on for my student course, it's been my first project where I've used Mudbox to sculpt something extensively. I had a fair amount of trouble along the way, but eventually handed it in as it is here:

fightingtreesadrian.jpg

I can say straight away that I'm not happy with my texturing work, and that rendering is not really my strong suit.

The idea behind the image is that there are two trees fighting. They are both alive creatures, but moving so slowly that they seem to be frozen. One tree is old and is pretty "grounded", and the other tree is more healthy and flexible.

Programs used:
3ds Max
Mudbox
Photoshop

Looking forward to hear what you guys think about it.

Replies

• eidriaen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look over there!
    *bump*

Oh never mind, you missed it.

Could really use some feedback guys :) Have to exhibit this in less than a month
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Welcome to Polycount :)

There are a few things which you could improve upon to get more out of this image.

The two trees blend together way too much and look like one organic mass, you could try seperating them a little more and making them look a bit more like trees.

The trees are also the main focus of your composition but are way too small in the frame, they take up about 30 to 35% of the overall space, pull the camera in closer to them.

Make the moon round and not oval.

Add more lights to try and get some rim lighting or something onto the trees to help define their volumes.

Hope this helps :)
  • eidriaen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback :) I'll try to fix the stuff you mentioned. The moon is oval because of the field of view on the camera which I tweaked to get a more extreme look to the shot, but rendering and camera work is not one of my strongest skills.