Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Maya Templar

Hi !

I started recently a small project in UDK from a concept. So here's the result for the moment, there are still lots of work:

- stones
- Gold objects
- particle
- godrays
- Water (yes it is water on the floor, which is not to my taste at the moment)
- tweak the sand

858425temple6.jpg
HD

I hope this is already not too bad. I put the models in low / high do on Zbrush once I have all placed in photoshop, textures are made with xNormal and Crazybump for the Diffuse.
C&C are welcome ! :)

Replies

• SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Can we see your reference and/or concept?

What you have at the moment is good (your sand and pillars look great), but it's a bit dark and I think that there just isn't enough going on in the scene.
    Perhaps light coming through the grate in the ceiling would illuminate the interior some more, and having some foliage to bring in some colour and visual interest would help.

I'd love to see where you take this, as I'm a big fan of Mayan scenes :)
  • silla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    image_1330467599.jpg

The concept is from Bruno Gentile.

Thanks you for the comment, it's motivating !
    First i think, i need to move some models, move a little my dominant light, and push a little the lighting inside.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using static lighting or dynamic lighting? :)
  • silla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi

a little update

607056temple8.jpg
    HD
    432895temple9.jpg
    HD

Yeh i use static lighting, why ?
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to know so I could help a bit with lighting :)

The concept appears to have quite blown-out sunlight coming in from outside, which is illuminating the inside using radiosity / bounce-light.
    It's also creating some harsh dark patches, as if the eye hasn't quite adjusted to the dim indoors.

To replicate this, you could try increasing your main light intensity by quite a bit and then lowering your "Light Bounces" to about 1 or 2 (View > World Properties > Lightmass).
    As well as this, you could tweak the "Diffuse Boost" value depending on the result that the last step got you. Lowering it will intensify shadows and increasing it will intensify bounce light.

I hope that helps, as most (if not all) of the scene's visual interest comes from the lighting and I'd love to see that come through in your work :)
  • silla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi !

@SirCalalot: Thanks alot for your advices, actually i used post-process for making dark patches.
    My problem here is now i have on the right picture a strong dark area, but on the concept, i have a strange lighting, its difficult to interpret. Maybe i should create an opening on the backside of my scene but i'm afraid that it corrupt all the rest of the lighting. We'll see.

166469temple10.jpg
    HD
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I don't think you need an opening at the back. When the light is on the objects, it needs to be more yellow. I'm not too sure the best way to do that, though. What you could do is make the environment much more blue and purple for starters, to match the concept.

Right now your pillar looks a little too chubby compared to the concept and everything feels a tad "soft", know what I mean? Maybe harden the edges on the door frame and pillar to make the scene a bit more tight and sharp
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    The ground looks a little bit too blobby I agree. But I believe the back door opening there to be vital to the scene. It's about how they concept is leading the eye from one strong visual point to another. In the concepts it's either from the back-door to the strong sun-light or the other way around.

Either way it's essential to make this scene look interesting.

Even though it's a concept , you have to realize that it's not a 100% representation of how the lighting would be in the real world. With the strong sunlight coming from the opening to the right, since it's intense it would give a sharp and harsh shadow-line, yet in the concept the light leaks out into areas where the sun wouldn't have touch that also is too bright to be bounce-light from inside.

To make sure to keep things visually interesting you might need to add fill lights where the areas get too dark. Everything doesn't have to be 100% realistic, what matters in the end is that it looks good to other people. or in our case, our AD and the gamers themselves. :)