Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Orkish Batth House

Hello there!

I'm doing a project for one of my university courses. I'm creating a Roman bath area in Unreal, but I'm adding some Ork elements from the Warhammer series as well. I've set up some base meshes using 3DS Max and I've been able to get them into Unreal. The picture below shows the layout of the bathouse in Unreal.

Redo_1.jpg

I've been working on sculpts in Zbrush to make the normal maps. I've taken Roman architecture, mostly stonework, but i've been adding damage to it in order to fit with the Ork idea. I've been followinng this tutorial for advice.

http://www.cgmotionbox.com/2011/08/cracks-damage-on-surfaces-in-z-brush/

The pictures below shows some of the work i've done so far. If anyone has any advice or critique, i'd appreciate it.

poly_8.jpg

poly_3.jpg

poly_1.jpg

Replies

• wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you need to look at reference for your cracks, they are seemingly at random and look drawn on. you need to sculpt cracks in a way that might actually happen, the 'x' crack above the door way seems particularly unlikely to form.
    can see this looking nice with all those shields glhf
  • TKM21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice paintforge, I'll look into making them better.

I'm a bit worried about how I'm going to retop these sculpts with all these cracks on them. I want to use a Zsphere to retop, but I'm unsure what to do. Any advice?
  • xenocarium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would use 3DCoat for retopologizing. Also, your pillars are going to come out super faceted within the normal map because they are not smoothed at all. I would suggest using some radial symmetry with ~100 to smooth out the form of them.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    retopologize in 3dCoat? Well... it would be building a lowpoly not really retopologizing and your cracks are not large enough to worry about building it into the lowpoly. And really you could just make cylinders, boxes, and planes in max and do just fine. There isn't a need for 3dcoat. It would be adding another package into the pipeline for no advantage in building or speed.

Edit: in fact you might even be able to get away with using the base mesh and just "RESing" them up a bit.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    retopologize in 3dCoat? Well... it would be building a lowpoly not really retopologizing and your cracks are not large enough to worry about building it into the lowpoly. And really you could just make cylinders, boxes, and planes in max and do just fine. There isn't a need for 3dcoat. It would be adding another package into the pipeline for no advantage in building or speed.

Edit: in fact you might even be able to get away with using the base mesh and just "RESing" them up a bit.

Yes, especially considering how minute the details are.

Don't give yourself more work than you have to!

However I will say, that I am a HUGE fan of 3D Coat's Retopo tools...best stuff for that IMO.
  • TKM21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't used 3D Coat but I've seen what it can do with retop and i have to agree with you tristamus, it is pretty cool. Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.
  • TKM21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update on how it's coming along. I've managed to get some normal maps working using render to texture in max and xnormal. The screens below show what it looks like now in UDK.

unreal.jpg

poly1.jpg

poly3.jpg

poly4.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    invert the green channel of your normalmaps, seems like Y is off - so either do this or rebake with inverted Y settings in xnormals normalmap settings
  • TKM21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice Neox.

Just a quick update since it's been a while since I posted anything. Added some Orkish weapons into the scene and some wall torches to provide some extra light sources. Also managed to add some extra normal maps onto the pillars.

poly5.jpg

poly6.jpg