Home Technical Talk

Reflective Material Help?

Hi.
I've just come to CryEngine from UDK, as I found UDK a little too complex for what my projects entailed.

I've been wanting to make a black floor, that is reflective of the things around it (lights, objects, etc), but I can't seem to find any tutorials, or posts detailing this.
I did see another thread slightly linked to this, however it was not what I was looking for.

I got the idea from Star Wars (Original, I know), and can't seem to get it to work in CryEngine.
6a10.jpg

Any help regarding how to do this would be much appreciated, thanks allot.

Edit: I do not want it see-through (transparent), just the reflective surface, thanks.
Edit2: This is a screenshot from StarWars, not in-game, Im trying to achieve this effect!

Replies

• [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I don't get it, so this is a screenshot from starwars but not ingame?! So this is not CE3?

Anyway, making reflective materials is actually very easy, you only need a environment probe in your level, either that or you can force a environment cubemap in the material, by loading a cubemap in the environment cube map slot, and ticking environment cubemap in the shader params.

So the rest is up to you, I sugest increasing the glossiness a lot, having a very dark difuse, and a very bright spec for even more reflections.

PS. If you have a DX11 card, and you run the editor in very high, you get real-time reflections on high gloss materials, like the floor in the screenshot.

Have fun.
  • NoSoap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    I don't get it, so this is a screenshot from starwars but not ingame?! So this is not CE3?

Anyway, making reflective materials is actually very easy, you only need a environment probe in your level, either that or you can force a environment cubemap in the material, by loading a cubemap in the environment cube map slot, and ticking environment cubemap in the shader params.

So the rest is up to you, I sugest increasing the glossiness a lot, having a very dark difuse, and a very bright spec for even more reflections.

PS. If you have a DX11 card, and you run the editor in very high, you get real-time reflections on high gloss materials, like the floor in the screenshot.

Have fun.

Thanks for the response.
    I tried looking at the environment probe, however it doesn't really make it very reflective, and it's certainly not black. Could you link me to a guide? Or give me some general guidelines on how to make the floor black, but only slightly reflective, thanks.

Edit: Tried it, but it's really low-res, and looks a bit off, any help?
    2ijoz2h.png
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    From that screenshot you can see that your cubemap_resolution is 128. You'll want to bump that up for a better reflections.
  • NoSoap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley wrote: »
    From that screenshot you can see that your cubemap_resolution is 128. You'll want to bump that up for a better reflections.

It's still off-center, and the reflections dont look as If there coming from the right place.

Here's how I mean (I know it'd be a bit more blurred than this, but this is just to illustrate that it's way off, and the reflections dont look as if there coming from the right places?

193yv5.png
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    You're not going to get accurate reflections with cubemaps. Real-time games just aren't good at doing real reflections. If you have a DX11 card, you could try doing as a poster previously said and use CryEngine's RLR.
  • NoSoap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket wrote: »
    You're not going to get accurate reflections with cubemaps. Real-time games just aren't good at doing real reflections. If you have a DX11 card, you could try doing as a poster previously said and use CryEngine's RLR.

I've got DX11 card, but I've got CryEngine 3 SDK - Free, thus I can't find a way to activate DX11, as it's stuck on DX9.
    Apparently the .dll's aren't included in the free version?
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to play around with some DX11 features a while back and just bought Crysis 2 for the SDK. I know that's not great advice, but... I think I picked it up for under a tenner. So it's not that bad.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    there should be a tickbox for realtime reflections in the shader params section of your material. DirectX11 for FreeSDK is not out yet, so you'll have to wait.

There is a DX11 update coming which will include a lot of goodies like tesselation, but nobody knows when it'll hit.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message