Home General Discussion

Sculpting clays.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
Hey folks.
I know a few of you have gotten into real world sculpting in the past. I'm looking at my options for different clays to work with.

I'd like something that I can build around an armature so it'll need to be something with a low shrinkage rate, and something that'll harden. Super Sculpey does the job, but it's ludicrously expensive ($40 for a 450 gram brick!) and I've never been entirely happy with the feel of it. I'd like something that's a little easier to work.

I've tried a few options, but don't have a lot of spare money for experimentation. What do you folks prefer to work with?

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Have you tried plastilina? It doesn't harden but it works well with aluminum foil coated armatures. It's less expensive too.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I tend to use new clay. Dirt cheap and great for a good mash up. You need to work over the surface afterwards to get a good finish though. It's also a tad heavy so bulk up your armature.
    £3.80 1kg
    £9.80 4.5kg
    £17.80 12.5kg

Link to Uk sellers

Das is a little lighter and better quality, especially the finish.

Link
    £6.95 1kg

I think they ship internationally but the pricing may be a little step for there weight.

Good luck anyway!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't DAS have a high shrinkage rate? Surely it'd crack really badly if you built it over an armature?
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Might be the wrong Das, i used Natural i think. The natural one~
    It is easy to make highly detailed pieces without shrinking or bending. Any work that has been stopped for several days can be resumed merely by moistening the dry parts.

Link~

Not sure on any other clays so.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Way back when, I used to use Milliput http://www.milliput.com/

It's an epoxy resin and is extremely versatile. You can retard or advance the setting time to some extent by 'controlling' temperature, according to how you like to work as it hardens to a rock like finish and so becomes very carvable/sandable/polishable... all the 'ables'!

Most important it is initially free of that rubbery feel that Super Sculpey has. The draw back being it's quite expensive, grades range from $5-8 for 4oz. Of course using cheaper material as a base is common if you're working on a large piece.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Chavant NSP

It's reworkable, has three different levels of hardness and can be cast.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, Chavant NSP is what I use. I know you said it needs to harden, but I imagine if you just use the Hard version of Chavant NSP you'll get the same result. If it's for casting, then the Hard version should be perfect. Actually I think even the soft will work.

Personally I use the soft one. It's perfect for me as you can just get back to the sculpt even a month later and it's still as you left it. And it's hard enough at room temperature that you don't have to worry about baking it and whatnot like you do with sculpey.
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    I vote Chavant NSP as well. It really works for long projects, nor hardening, cracking and i haven't ever noticed any shrinkage.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i 4th Chavant 'NSP' or Chavant 'Le Beau Touche'.

if your going to work small then you will need medium or hard. and a clay warmer. you can make one with a card board box and a small light bulb. also some tools.

if your working larger then you will probably want soft and you will need a wire armature. but you don't really need a clay warmer. or many tools.

its probably best to buy a few blocks of different harnesses and different types and find one you like before you put down a lot of money for clay. i have seen even experienced sculptors end up with a lot of clay the never use.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Super Sculpey and Super Sculpey Firm can be pretty inexpensive if you work with a good wire/aluminum foil armature.

Create the base shapes/ volumes of the model through a wire skeleton with aluminum tape and foil exterior and just add less than 1/4 inch sculpey for the surface.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Here's a video of Chavant NSP medium being used(beast/creature nakedness! :P):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I12XklH1sYQ"]The Making of Leon caseylovedesigns.com - YouTube[/ame]
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The maquette sculptor at work uses some type of Chavant clay. I haven't had much of a look at it, but I guess if he's working with it then it must be pretty decent. I guess if a sculpt isn't going to be knocked around the hardness doesn't matter all that much.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I guess if a sculpt isn't going to be knocked around the hardness doesn't matter all that much.

that's not true. the hardness of the clay is always very important. the hardness of the clay determines how fine the detail can be in general relative to the scale of the sculpture. for instance if you work with very soft clay at a very small scale fine detail is extremely hard to do. the clay just becomes to soft to to take detail from a tool and you get rips etc. also if you work with hard clay at a very large scale then you will have to use lots of scrapers and large rasps to get large smooth surfaces and generally the flow of the clay will look very stiff.

so in general the smaller you work the harder the clay has to be. and the smaller you get the more you will have to rely on tools rather then your hands.

i guess at the extreme ends are soft water based clay used for very large sculpture which is for the most part done with your hands. and on the other side is small scale wax sculpting where you literally work with hard wax and carve your sculpt with tools and you can get extremely small detail.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since we're on the subject, any tips on smoothing out Chavant? I never quite figured that part out.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Since we're on the subject, any tips on smoothing out Chavant? I never quite figured that part out.

the two most common methods are to use 99% rubbing alcohol and a rag. or an 'alcohol torch' google for images.

also a tooth brush with a little rubbing alcohol works nice also.

edit: o yeah and a hair drier. you use it the same way as an alcohol torch
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    A few tips on raking oil-based clay.

http://vimeo.com/37885398

Fun stuff :)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! thanks for sharing.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gray wrote: »
    that's not true. the hardness of the clay is always very important...
    I meant as a final result that I'm going to stick on my shelf or whatever as opposed to Sculpey or any of the other clays that dry or become completely hard.

I imagine Chavant would have a slight stickyness. If I'm going to keep Chavant models as my final pieces, they're likely to get dust and stuff all over them over time, which'll be difficult to remove. I guess I could spray a clear coat of something over the top to protect them, but it'd need to something that wouldn't dissolve the clay. How do other people deal with this?
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    How do other people deal with this?

most of the better sculptors i have seen rarely keep a final sculpture. the whole point is to improve your skill. sculpt something then break it down and reuse the clay. if you work on a sculpt and let it sit there is really not much that messes it up. dust is really not much of an issue. the clay is water resistant so you can just run it under cold water and that would take most of the dust off.

prob 99% of the time people cast there sculptures in plaster. so you would need to learn how to make a mold and plaster cast. that's a big area and i would not worry about it if your starting out. there are books on how to do all that if you start looking around. but really just concentrate on sculpting and haveing fun. Chavant can sit on the shelf for years with no problems. and you can still go back and work with it again.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Jordu Schell airbrushes his chavant sculpts. He mentioned he has maquettes sitting around his studio from 15 years ago so the stuff is pretty resilient.

You can use turpenoid and alcohol with a cheap ass glue brush from the hardware store to smooth stuff.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Today I learned there's clay that can be used for casting :D

I do an aluminium cast using wax, it was an awesome process, but I wonder how much that costs outside of school.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic wrote: »
    Jordu Schell airbrushes his chavant sculpts. He mentioned he has maquettes sitting around his studio from 15 years ago so the stuff is pretty resilient.

You can use turpenoid and alcohol with a cheap ass glue brush from the hardware store to smooth stuff.

yea terpenoid works. i have seen a few people paint clay like Jordu Schell as you noted. i always wondered about why you would do that but i guess if you have enough clay and enough space then it makes sense. much quicker then casting then painting to.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    pior wrote: »
    A few tips on raking oil-based clay.

http://vimeo.com/37885398

Fun stuff :)

Thanks for sharing, Pior. It would be cool if you would put the camera on the other side next time though to prevent risking having your hand in the way.

Great thread idea btw, Jackablade, some valuable information here.