Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Meat Vending Cart Scene

Hey guys, so I've finished modelling this vending cart based on this concept (second from bottom right):

r8FX4.jpg

Here is a render of my model with a 1024x512 tiled road (texture is up for debate):

kALFa.jpg

I've been suggested to that I should consider hand painting the textures to go along with the style of the concept (once I've unwrapped it). I was hoping to get some suggestions or opinions on which approach to take in the texturing phase. I can also post a wireframe if need be but the model itself is fairly tight and under 4,800 polys. Also, I figure I can make this into a full scene, I'm thinking of expanding beyond the curbs of the road and adding grass and foliage. Any pointers there would be helpful!

Thanks a ton guys!

Replies

• OMGiFARTED
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your model looks awesome bro! where did you get the concept? and I suggest going the hand painted route. It will go with the look a lot better. though i do like the floor, is that hand painted?

And i think u should put it in the middle of a town or something. Might be a lil much, but if you can just bust out some 3-4 modular buildings u can put something together quite nice
  • danielkirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. I got the concept from my teacher so I don't know the original source. The road texture isn't hand painted, rather a stone floor texture I found and tiled. I think the town and building idea is awesome actually. It could create some awesome depth :)
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    Good Start.
    Questions.
    Why make a full scene ? how would scene help your portfolio ?
    Why make a single prop ? how would scene help your portfolio ?
    How would making a hand painted texture help your portfolio ?
    How would making a photo sourced texture help your portfolio ?

Why did you start this project ? and what was the goal ?

lets clarity things at the most basic level first, before moving forward with anything else.
    This will help clear ur mind :)
    9856682.jpg
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice, but could we see some wires? Also I think that concept is from ArenaNet. Hoelbrak is one of the racial city in Guild Wars 2. Love working from their concepts, always such awesome art out of there.
  • danielkirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @amile: Thank you kindly!

@Hiten: Why make a full scene ? how would scene help your portfolio ?

I thougt that making a whole scene would make a nice addition to the portfolio because its something I haven't really done. That and I wanted to play with some daylighting and texturing grass. Do you think its a good idea or should I leave this as more of an asset?

Why make a single prop ? how would scene help your portfolio ?

The goal of this assignment is to have a nice asset with good modelling and solid texturing. I'm just thinking of taking it a step further.

How would making a hand painted texture help your portfolio ?

The idea for taking a hand painted approach is that it seems like it would lend to the style of the concept well, that and I feel like it would be something cool to learn.

How would making a photo sourced texture help your portfolio ?

Photo sourced could work too, but again, it feels like it may take away from the style of the concept.

Why did you start this project ? and what was the goal ?

I started this project to have a nice, stylized asset with the idea of making a mini scene to show off multiple areas of study. The goal is to have this portfolio worthy.

Thanks for making me think about all that!

@Tigerfeet: Thanks for the headsup on the source! I was wondering about that. As for wireframe, here you go:

rRT4x.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I would say that there is a lot of polygones that are not used, you could collapse a lot of edge that are not needed in certain area.
    Other then that I think it look great, nice job :)
    Sorry for the messy english
  • danielkirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tits: Thanks. I agree that a few edges could be removed. And don't worry, heard you loud and clear!
  • michaelmilette
    Looking great dude keep it up Love the style of this piece!
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    Ok so other people have said to remove edges and I've gone and done a paintover to illustrate some things.

Meat_Cart_Paintover.jpg

In case the text is hard to read (I don't write well with a tablet >.<) here's what things say, with some elaboration

The red lines indicate loops that could be removed entirely with little or no silhouette loss
    Blue is where things could be condensed into tris
    Orange where things definitely need to go unless you plan on mirroring the UVs along that line (which I wouldn't recommend on some of the spots I found them)

Things I think you should keep in mind going forward

1. Don't be afraid to float geometry, there's no reason to go through the hassle and extra geo of building certain pieces into the same mesh when the same effect can be achieved simply by butting up two separate pieces.

2. Tiny details, like the raised bit on the big wheel can be completely in the texture, if they don't drastically alter the silhouette it's much more poly efficient to simply paint or normal them in (depending on whether you're doing a normal map or handpainting)

3. Smaller cylinders don't need as many sides as the larger ones. Even on objects that are the same mesh you can progressively collapse edges as things get smaller to be more efficient.

4. If and when you do model more complex objects as a single piece, you should collapse unneeded loops as soon as they stop defining silhouette.

With that in mind here's one of the best ways to determine which edges are vital. I challenge you to do it as a sort of homework.

1. Put a pure black material on your model so all you can see is the silhouette
    2. start collapsing and deleting edge loops
    3. If you see no drastic change in the silhouette, they are unneeded

Remember skill at modeling isn't just about making something pretty but also conserving when ever possible. It's less about the actual tri count and more about making sure that every tri has a clear purpose on the model. Speaking of tris it'd be great to know the tri count rather than polycount as that's more accurate (polys can be 2 tris, or more if there's N-gons, tris are the base level of flat surface)

My paintover is not the be all and end all, you may find a few I suggested to remove are necessary, I can't see the thing in 3D to know for sure, you make also find many more places to collapse things that I missed.

Also try not to render things out with a black background ;)

It's looking nice so far and I'm excited to see how it turns out.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Tits wrote: »
    I would say that there is a lot of polygones that are not used, you could collapse a lot of edge that are not needed in certain area.

+1
  • danielkirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for such an in depth critique. This definitely helps for getting rid of useless edges and I highly appreciate that. Some things to consider on my next post after deleting edges are: The body is one piece, while I do agree that the pieces should have been modeled separately, I can detach them in the unwrap phase. And: the cart, wheels and canvas will share a 1024 map, all the little accessories will share a 512. I want to maximize the space I can give the canvas and the wood. I'm also planning on tiling trim for the wood and metal. Thanks again, and I do plan on trying this homework experiment :)
  • danielkirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, brought the polycount down to 4.191 total. I deleted unnecessary edges but had to preserve some in the key ares of the cart's body. Also added a pan to give the model some asymmetry as suggested to me from a friend. Lemme know what you guys think. Gonna start unwrapping this sucker.

pS42C.jpg
  • danielkirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xelan101: I figured the cloth could suffer from that much low poly so I left it.
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely some good reduction, but there's still some edges you could collapse down rather than delete outright.

Going back to #4 of what I said earlier you can still bring lots of edges to tris where you're still continuing them through the whole model

Like I said before as soon as they stop being useful terminate them.

There's no need to keep things in clean even quads unless you're planning on bringing it into a sculpting package like Zbrush or Mudbox. Otherwise tris are completely valid and can really help reduce things

Case in point, I modeled out two of your shapes real quickly and made two versions, they retain the exact same silhouette but have very different polycounts

Meat_Cart_Reduction-1.jpg

I can tell you're carrying over edges in lots of places: the two loops down the middle of the main cart they might define something under the piece with the meat on it, but by the time we can see them there's not reason for them to be there, they can be collapsed together into one and then even target welded to one side to save more tris. You've also done this a lot on the posts and edges coming off the main cart.

Personally I would reduce the cloth at least a little bit, if you can draw a nearly straight line between two points along the geo and there's an edge loop in between it can probably go. At the very least like I said above reduce into tris wherever an edge loop isn't actually doing anything. But obviously it's ultimately your call. The only reason it would need to be that dense is if it were flying free and going to be animated. Something that attached to the cart won't really move.

I would also still reduce the number of loops on the tori/rings as well as the smaller cylinders of the pots and the back wheels
  • danielkirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see exactly what you are saying. I gotta note now that I am planning on hipolying this and sculpting a bit in zbrush, ao bake and normal mapping it. Shoulda mentioned that earlier, I apologize.
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, well then yeah keep things in quads for now and get started on the control edges for the high and get this thing turbosmoothed! Most of the cart can probably be done in Max and then the subtle wood grain, cloth folds and damage will be a Zbrush thing.

Always good to mention if it's a high or low poly just so people don't get confused, plus there's no point in giving a tri/poly count for the high as it's never actually going into a game engine. Which is probably why people assumed it was the low and started asking for wire shots.

Anyways my crits still stand for when build your low. And at that point I think you'll be really surprised at just how low you can get while retaining all the detail of the high.
  • danielkirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True fact. Thanks for the advice! I'll be updating the progress so stay tuned...
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    its an assignment !!!! now i get it... :)
    IMO:
    Go hand painted texture style. and have only one of these in ur portfolio. unless you REALLY LOVE that style. and wanna work on Darksiders 3 :P

Stick w/ the one asset focus in mind. But continue "planning" on a "small" , very small tight scene. Don't go Micheal bay on that scene...

Now for your solo prop, define what done looks like and what doing is.
    I'll be waiting for your response.....
  • danielkirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hiten: Thank you sir. I will definitely keep you all posted on the progress. Should have some hipoly and sculpting done by Monday.
  • danielkirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, sorry for the slack on updates this past week. Got caught up with a bunch of other stuff (you know how it goes). But I was able to get a basic sculpt done, a normal map (that is being fixed), an ao bake and some base textures. Here's a render:

Eim5X.jpg

Now I have the normal map in a normal bump slot under 'screen' which I've found gives the cart itself a kind of animated style to it (which I was kinda aiming for to go along with hand painting). What do you guys think about it?

Here's my diffuse so far for the cart:

tL8SV.jpg

And a normal map I baked from the zbrush sculpt onto my low poly through xnormal (which is still being tweaked as it came out messy in spots).

mwj8e.jpg

Lemme know what you guys think and what should be improved! Thanks as always.
  • danielkirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just wanted to post a quick update cos I feel like have base colours down better and have the wood better defined.

O1DkE.jpg
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool mate
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Tires could use some grunge methinks. Other than that, awesome work!
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    it may be fine, but id suggest putting edge padding on your baked out maps from xnormal.
  • danielkirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sipher3325:

Thank you kindly!

@Selaznog:

Thanks! Still have a bunch to texture still, but for sure you are right. Grunge on the tires makes sense.
  • danielkirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Macattackk:

I'll give it a go. Thanks.
  • danielkirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, so I did a few final renders for the cart. I'm still going to use it in a scene, but this is it for now. Lemme know what you guys think.

3fTmw.jpg

lr9c5.jpg
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    nice, get some more tone variation in your cloth roof to denote water damage. same with wood slats. localize the texture on each board more so they stand out as individual pieces in a set. and definitely get more dirt and damage on the wheels where they get in contact with the ground.
  • michaelmilette
    Hey dude this is looking very cool still love the style. You mentioned that you did a zbrush sculpt could we see that :D.
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    This is quite the clean cart.. needs a dirty pass. I did a paint over for you:

H561B.jpg