Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Chris Rohlfing, Prop/Environment Artist

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
SnakeDoctor keyframe
Hey guys I am nearing graduation and would love some feedback on my portfolio content. I think now is a good time to say how thankful I am a community like this exist. If it was not for Polycount I would not be at the level I am now. So, thanks again.

Unlike most people, I am just doing a two year program instead of a four, so I hope it doesn't show too much. Recently, I have been tweaking my portfolio to try and set it apart from the other Carbonmade ones. I am also trying to join a mod/indie game as well as get some freelance work so that I can more of a structured work environment and possibly allow my fiance and I to live a little bit more comfortably :). I really don't know what to expect so we will see how that goes.

(Self Assessment)
-I feel like I still need one or two more good pieces before I would call it a well rounded portfolio. To accomplish this I would like to have completed two polished works by the end of summer.
-My texturing work needs to improve

If you have any other advice or comments I would love to hear them.

www.Chris-3d.com

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I feel like you need to do something more creative. Weapons are boring unless they're frickin awesome either your own design or just really well executed with perfect texturing. Yours ends up looking a little bit boring without all the extra things added to it. The grenade launcher-thing or the lasersight. Mainly because the rifle ends up having this really boring flat-area. Maybe go back and touch it up a bit more? :)

Maybe try to actually put an environment together? Right now you don't really have anything to back-up your environment art title. Creating an environment is more than just creating props and putting it all together.

You have

Planning
    - Textures
    - Shaders
    - Workflow

Deciding the key-elements to the scene your creating. Then putting it all together and bringing it home thinking about composition, colors, lighting and how they work together. It's also about the discipline it takes to actually create a full scene. Even though it might just be a one or two angle scene and no 360* one.

If you think it's a daunting task, because it usually feels like that maybe try to do a collab with a friend or two?

I hope I helped!
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Thanks for the critiques. I have recently been working hard and did my best to follow your advice and have updated a few of my newer projects. I also added my resume to my site, but I feel that it doesn't have enough information about me. After looking at other successful peoples resumes on here it seems like short and simple are the way to go. Would love some advice on this topic.

Also, feel free to leave any advice you may have regarding my work or new projects I should take on.
  • wasabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey.. i like your Darksiders weapon project. It is my favorite piece of your work. The Canyon Environment looks like its heading into the right direction but I think those rocks are a bit too roundish....(I dont't know but that's just my feeling..) And you need to get rid of that Space Scene.. It is just a sphere with a map on it and I don't think that will impress anybody. Well anyway good luck with your new project and I hope you don't take away my job opportunity in the future... hahaha....
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    The Darksiders weapon is he strongest piece on your site - everything else is pretty mediocre. I agree with wasabi's comments - remove the space scene. Your hard surface high poly work is very weak - mainly the engine. Try to model in as much as you can - avoid simply intersecting meshes and large floating elements. The easy way out will not impress anyone.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    As per request I removed the Space scene. It made sense in the end and I don't know why I left it up there for so long.

Paul thanks for the critiques, your high poly modeling skills are outstanding. Hopefully I can match your expertise someday.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    I have been thinking about the advice that was given for a few days now. Recently, I have been working extremely hard on my current portfolio project, job hunting and at my full time job. After the advice, for which I am very grateful, I unfortunately have this deep fear that I might be at an unemployable level. This really unsettles me because I am trying to improve the living conditions for my wife and I.

This brings me to my question. Even though my work can use improvement, as it always will, is it still in the realm of possibility that I could be considered for a junior artist position. I hope no one takes this as complaining as I am not trying come from that angle. Its just with so much at stake in my life right now I could use some confirmation.

Thanks guys.