Home Technical Talk

Usefull Character Sculpting Brushes?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
Does anyone know a website with some good brushes for character sculpting except the ones from zbrush site.

Replies

• Twister3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twister3 polycounter lvl 12
    Let me just tell you that it isn't so much the tools but rather the experience with the program that let you sculpt those beautiful characters that you see everywhere. Most artists rely on a few brushes and use them all the time for everything.

That said, I like to use orbs crack brush for wrinkles and folds, the trim dynamic brush for establishing planes and claytube brush for bildup.Also I modified the standard pinch brush to the point that it pinches but doesn't destroy the topology. I also use the standard brush alot.

I strongly recommend that you experiment with the brushes included in the software to expand your knowledge about how brushes work etc. and also keep zbrushing with the standard brushes until you get decent results.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It's skill, not brush, tools are only a means to the final product.

What you're asking is akin to "Anyone have better gloves so I can drive better and faster"?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    it's skill, not a wacom! tools are only means to the final product, now grab your mouse! ;)

seriously, when I did character modeling I had many custom tools tailored to my workflow, most of them centering about special alphas like for seams, stitching, pores and other details and a few custom tweaked brushes for ultra fine details. I made most brushes and alphas myself back then, but why reinvent the wheel?
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you need to develop your hand eye coordination just as you do with a pencil and drawing. developing your ability to create tight detail to the point where you can sculpt soft wrinkles around the face, detailed eyes and ears etc with the standard brushes.

adding detail with alpha brushes and stencils is in most cases for superficial detail. and even then you need to be able to sculpt on top of that stamp detail to make it look more natural and defined.

instead of looking for brushes i suggest that you start to develop your own brushes and stencils. get some images from google and experiment in photoshop. its quite easy as your only working in black and white. and your starting with images to begin with. try to make a rock brush. maybe a skin brush etc.

i have found that each sculpt is different and requires custom brushes in most cases. and most of the time sculpting the detail by hand is faster and looks better then stamps anyways.

you can check out this dvd. it has a excellent introduction to detailing and how to create alpha brushes.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/15/Detailing-Characters%3A-ZBrush-Alpha-Library
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    I find one brush very handy when dealing with characters sculpting - skin, folds, wrinkles and so on. It was made by Ryan Kittleson and it behaves like Damien's Standard Brush, but doesn't affect the topology - keeping your mesh topology uniform is very important.
    Here's a sample [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDHMvsN3rvs"]video[/ame]
    And the brush itself www.erraticimagery.com/extras/ryankittleson_creasebrush.zip
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    claytubes pretty much all you need
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Clay tubes is so nice. I have trouble making sharp, thin, deep slices though, what's a good tool/brush for that?