Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demon Crusader Project

Hey guys, I'm working on something for university and unfortunately this means I have to go through the motions and do silhouettes etc for a concept. Unfortunately I'm terrible at drawing without spending ages on it so I've just sort of slapped some ideas down (but I guess that's the point of silhouettes so, yey?).

Basically the character is a sort of blind demonic crusader (don't ask), and it's intended as a boss level enemy, so something big, bold and powerful looking.
XlusL.png

At the moment I'm leaning towards the torso of F with the chains attached to the chest, so if he were to say roar his chest would split open revealing his heart, it seemed like a decent idea as a boss since that could be the weak point. And I prefer the legs on the first character and also that helmet, though I'm not sure whether a transition from that helmet to skin on the torso would look weird or not. I'm also going to make him more bulky, I just made them all skinny to start with to see what worked like that.

Anyway, any feedback would be lovely, thanks.

Replies

• Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    F yeh! ...so F, but only if you model the chest splitting as well ^^
  • Bobbetybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah that was my plan, it pretty much instantly decides the pose for him straight away as well which is useful, saves me more time.
  • Bobbetybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK so I drew up 2 more detailed concepts with bits from A and F, any feedback on which people think is more interesting or any ideas for changes would be much appreciated. (Again, sorry for the terrible drawings, in the actual pose he'll look much more like he's roaring/screaming in agony, honest.)

LffGB.png
    ObjBC.png

I'm leaning more towards the first right now I'm terrible at coming up with monster type faces so the second one sort of just lookings like a bad Power Rangers villain.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I'm liking the first concept. If you go for the second make sure his leg garments go at least half way down the knee. It'l make the difference between it looking like a kilt and a skirt :p Also you're brave to be adding those chains into your design, they look like they would be challanging to animate.
  • Bobbetybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, yeah, good call on the skirt =p It was supposed to be half of a Crusader tunic, but having looked at them just they actually have a split between the legs so that's something I'd have to put in.

As for the chains luckily it's going to be a static piece, but it still needs to be skinned and posed so it could be a challenge you're right, if it comes too it I'll just keep them separate until the rest of the model is posed and then have them separate for the project and then come back to them afterwards.
  • Bobbetybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright final concept I'm done with this, time to start sculpting, he's bulkier and now contains 100% more terrible foreshortening and shading.
    93YCn.png
  • Bobbetybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Righty right, started sculpting, the legs and stuff are in there but they're just there for the shape and proportions right now so I've left them out. Any feedback or suggestions as always are appreciated.
    K2OoG.png
  • Bobbetybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wr7Rt.png
    We have a heart.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not the best in the field but I guess you might want to check on his anatomy.
    The overall body looks off and these 'boobs' are pretty weird too. :/
  • Bobbetybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right some more progress, fiddled with the body some more, and the "boobs", I think the upper arms are still a bit off though.
    zEuYa.jpg
  • Bobbetybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress, as always crits etc would be much appreciated.

tKG3n.jpg
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    Pecs too low, upper arm too short and wide fore arm I cant tell until the start of the arm is sorted out. Also a strong lack of definition. No neck, the shoulder travels too close to what neck there is.
    Long story short you need a few thorough sessions of anatomy study.
    also tip for the tear, sculpt the anatomy then tear the chest open that way anatomy will be more accurate and the tear will look better.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Definitely going to echo what the rest of the thread is saying. Grab a sketch book, and do some anatomy studies of the arm, the chest, the hand, and then a full torso. You'll get a much greater appreciation of what your model is missing right now.

Another option (although I really recommend the anatomy studies) would be to find reference (stock images for example) of males in this pose to get a sense of how it should look. Stock photos are also good for seeing where muscle definition should be (depending on your stock resource).
  • Bobbetybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I definitely agree on the anatomy, it's sort of a weak point for me and I'm going to do plenty of anatomy studies in the future and focus on fixing the arms and stuff up as much as I can. The only thing I'm still not sure on is the neck, it was meant to be covered like this:
    4thofjuly2.jpg

But I think I made the back muscles rise up to high, so it looks a bit weird.

Anyway, some more progress below.
    3sfBY.jpg
  • Bobbetybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, big leap here but it's finished. I could really use some feedback and crits on this since I need to put some in my report for the model, thanks in advance for any replies.

Renders:
    VJpmSh.png
    Mb0Rkh.png
    JgKGxh.png
    q0yy3h.png

Wires:
    Uknu8h.png
    KuZCyh.png
    Jzgieh.jpg

Turntable:
    WCfAA.gif

2048 diffuse, normal and spec maps and a final tri count of just over 15k (I made the chains waaaay too high poly, only 8 sides but it adds up.)
  • RobHancock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, I really like the design of his open chest, you've modelled the inside well, nice pose too. :thumbup:
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    he really hulked out lol :)
  • Bobbetybob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, yeah he did, t'was a very Hulk inspired pose.