Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Car Model Critique Needed!!

Hi everyone, this is my first ever so...I'm currently a student and I've been working on this car and I'm not done with yet but I would love to hear your thoughts and critiques.
I'm having trouble with arranging the model especially by the front tire.
I used curves to create the model and then created surfaces and then converted those surfaces into polygons and since then I've been tweaking it.

*the car model is a 2011 Bentley Continental GT*
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg

Replies

• WREA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would really appreciate the feedback!
    Thanks again1
  • culturedbum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    culturedbum polycounter lvl 17
    Remember to always use more polies where needed, your car currently looks too lumpy. Don't be afraid to use more polies, vehicles in current gen games are around 15K to 30K a piece, that's a lot of polies to play around with.
  • WREA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes I feel like I have unneeded geometry so I start to take them our or when I add more polies everything comes out too bumpy :(
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    You've got a ton of ngons, especially in the headlight area. Also please post without smooth on, cuz its easier to see whats going on that way.
  • WREA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @zakhar2 The reason I had ngons was because I was trying to line up my lines so i deleted edges but I sort of fixed it and here are the wireframes without smooth.
    06.jpg
    07.jpg
    08.jpg
    09.jpg
    010.jpg
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    So it looks like in the first two images you have it smoothed. If you are going to do Hi-poly set up smoothing groups or control edges. As for the unsmoothed version I would basically start over and really just do as basic geo as possilbe till the shape is roughed out. Then add in more geo, it will prevent that lumpy look and keep all you edges straight.
  • Phrexeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phrexeus polycounter lvl 6
    The lumpiness is fairly easy to fix, just by looking at the model from top view, side view, front view and tweaking the verts until you get smooth lines.

Your main problem is topology. Right now your polygons don't flow well around the headlights or around the front bumper and other areas. You have the right idea around the wheel arch though - see how the polygons follow the curve. Also try to terminate un-needed edge loops as early as possible, for example the ones going vertically down under the wing mirror. Having them close together like that makes them hard to control. Try removing the middle one up to the base of the mirror stem(5-sided polys are usually okay in sub-d) and then spread out the others a bit more.

For the corner of the front bumper you just need to add more edge loops in the right places to make a tight lip or whatever you're going for.

I would recommend checking out "how to model dem shapes" in technical talk (it's stickied) for help with topology.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Give this a try Untitled_1.jpg
    change your move setting from world to normal...this way the verts will move somewhat along the faces of the car..kind of hard to explain but if you have the vert selected and hit 3 for smooth preview...you can tweak out some of the dents....

Alternatively you can also go to MESH>Sculpt Geomerty options and us the smooth and relx brush to iron out the dents as well...

You car also needs some supporting edges to harden out the planes of the car...along the fenders for example...car.jpg

the lines highlighted in red...I added these in the end after I extruded the edges in (green in the pic) to give some 'depth' to the body panels...do this in the end cause once you start adding edges loops its impossible to adjust them later....
    Also try that tool I have highlighted....I can't find the location atm cause I have it on my custom shelf...but it lets you slide edges and edge loops along the surface of your car.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Now, not sure if you want to start from scratch cause sometimes its just faster to start fresh than to try and fix the topology....if you are I recommend doing this first...trace out the geometry of a real bently...this way you can figure out the topology in photoshop rather guess it in Maya...this way when most of the guess work is figured out you can just model over your lines...trace.jpg
    that took maybe 5 mins or so but you can kind of see where geometry is needed or not needed in the block out....
    Personally I like starting from a plane and extruding the edges out ...
    trace.jpg

At first I wouldn't move any edges/verts horizontally unless you have to...keep posting updates...when you get further I can show you how to get the really nice solid looking gaps between doors and body panels...GL :)
  • WREA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips..I will definitely use the sculpt geometry. Because of my time issues I won't be able to start over the mesh however I do plan to but I'll continue to post my work in the mean time. Thanks for the pics as well they helped. :)
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    headlight area is fucked, same with the boot lines. You know it doesnt look right, because a quick look at a photo would tell you this.

Concentrate on getting a smooth accurate shell first, worry about the details later. Your topology is mostly correct, but also sloppy. Just because youre smoothing it doesent mean you can get away with sloppy base geometry. I would take out the details, and concentrate on getting a smooth clean and accurate shell first.

Concentrate on photos, and also, if you can find a wireframe of a similar shaped car, that will give you some clues to help you along. Here is a wireframe of an audi for instance that may help with the wheelarch and bonnet areas, especially how they flow into each other. This is one of mine btw, so its not perfect by any means!

wires1.jpg

I have the same problems as I have described to you (and have been told so during a recent art test ha!) so I am not having a go or trying to put you down, but you learn way more from honest criticism imo.
  • WREA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Drav & I appreciate the criticism. So I decided to go back and restart the main area of the car that was really messed up (LOL).
    And also by the way nice car; really puts mine to shame. :(
    Here are some improvements that I made on the headlight area mostly.
    01-1.jpg
    02-1.jpg
    03-1.jpg
    04-1.jpg
  • WREA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I know I'm not fully done with the actual car itself; I tried to complete most of it because of the time limit (The project is due already tomorrow). Any who I just want to post up my render shots. The last shot is what I ended up using; the first two pictures did not have the complete shaders on them because they were just my test shots to see if everything was showing up and seeing how the colors looked.
    I do plan to finish this car during my free time a.k.a my break. :)
    01-2.jpg
    04-2.jpg
    06-2.jpg
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Did you teacher require shaders on the car? When I modeled my first car, my teacher said that shaders actually show the mistakes more so than hide them....
    Personally I would not suggest that you finish the car on break...either start from scratch or pick a new one. The first car I modeled, I restarted from scratch about 5 or 6 times. Also Im sure you're quite sick of the Bently by now aren't you? Model an older car, they are a bit easier to work on and easier to fix mistakes. Take what you learn then model another car GL :)
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I guess it's too late to really help for this car but I would still take a look at this. http://www.youtube.com/user/Nareko90. When I was first learning how to model I followed this guys tutorial and it helped a lot.
  • Notes