Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

www.handpaintedtextures.com

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
www.handpaintedtextures.com is my website i have been working on for a while. The idea is ti create a huge marketplace where gamesevelopers/indie people can buy non exclusive texture/assets, everything in handpainted style. There is ton of things to fix regarding the page but byinh throu Paypal works great already. It would be nice with some feedback on textures and general guidelines on how to proceed, and offcourse you are welcome to buy some textures.

Kindly // jimmy

Replies

• fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Where does the money go? 100% to the artists, or does the site take a cut?

Or am I misunderstanding this and it's entirely for your own work?

either way, the site looks great and I hope it does well for you!
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    fearian wrote: »
    Where does the money go? 100% to the artists, or does the site take a cut?

Or am I misunderstanding this and it's entirely for your own work?

either way, the site looks great and I hope it does well for you!

Hi man,

Right now it is only my work that is up there but i have had other artists asking me about this so i might give other artists a try to sell their textures througt the site. Thanks alot man !
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'd suggest making packs instead of individual images. Or at least supplement via packs. Say buying all your stone floors for $25, this will entice people to buy more than if every thing's individual. Personally, I think the textures are a bit too expensive as well, but I tend to be cheap, so maybe it's just me. Definitely think about your pricing, though.

I'd also suggest adding some color variants which should be easy enough if you have the layers separated. This could tie in with the packs as well. It'd cost relatively little time, but give the end users with -zero- texture skills some more variety.

I also think you need to start adding things like detail strips and unique bits that can be layered over other textures to allow people to 'lego' together their own things. For instance, having several banner designs, in different sizes, and then some loose logos/insignias.
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    This hurts my soul :(
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    it might be nice to implement some style categories, since handpainted textures don't intrinsically share one, and a customer is likely looking for things that will fit in with the existing direction of their project
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    such a weird business experiment, good luck.
  • bgivenb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bgivenb polycounter lvl 5
    I like this. Good work
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Snader wrote: »
    I'd suggest making packs instead of individual images. Or at least supplement via packs. Say buying all your stone floors for $25, this will entice people to buy more than if every thing's individual. Personally, I think the textures are a bit too expensive as well, but I tend to be cheap, so maybe it's just me. Definitely think about your pricing, though.

I'd also suggest adding some color variants which should be easy enough if you have the layers separated. This could tie in with the packs as well. It'd cost relatively little time, but give the end users with -zero- texture skills some more variety.

I also think you need to start adding things like detail strips and unique bits that can be layered over other textures to allow people to 'lego' together their own things. For instance, having several banner designs, in different sizes, and then some loose logos/insignias.

Hey, About the color i just think is so easy to fix in Photoshop that it isnt worth the filesize /slowdown on the page. I do give artist variants of most of the textures but more visual stuff so they dont have to paint them. One example is if i make a wodden plank with nails i always include a version where the nails is gone and so on.

All textures will be sold in packs (packs are 50 % cheaper), the reason i havent done this yet is that i dont have enought content.

assets will be sold aswell like trees that are uvmapped with textures and all.

as you can see there is alot still to be fixed on the page. thanks alot for you feedback !

Kindly // Jimmy
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Saiainoshi wrote: »
    This hurts my soul :(

May i ask why ?
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    it might be nice to implement some style categories, since handpainted textures don't intrinsically share one, and a customer is likely looking for things that will fit in with the existing direction of their project

you mean like different art styles within the "hand painted textures" umbrella ?
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    bgivenb wrote: »
    I like this. Good work

thanks alot man.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no soliciting! also you need a better watermark, also I like erasing watermarks

Ka1KF.jpg

now selling semi-original hand painted textures $4 each
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14

*Image*

This! It's pretty easy to "fix" a watermark. Make sure that you have a really annoying one. :):thumbup:
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12

Oh lol that is funny
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    haha okay, any suggestions on a better watermark ? , The problem is that if you use alot of them (like i do) you destroy the preview of the image. Also i am not exactly worried about the fact that people will steal my stuff,it will happen sooner or later anyway. And i dont thing many people are will release games with stolen textures.
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

*image*

This made my otherwise rainy and boring tuesday.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    jimpaw wrote: »
    you mean like different art styles within the "hand painted textures" umbrella ?
    yea exactly. people looking for stuff in the vein of WoW need something different than people looking for stuff in the vein of TF2, for example. being able to sort by some style parameter might be a good idea unless all the textures you ever sell are all in the same style, but then you'd be limiting your potential customer base a lot imo