Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Environment - Quake 3 Arena "The longest yard"

I am trying to recreate Quake 3 "The longest yard" level in UDK, its my favorite level. I pretty much finished blocking it out, determining the scale, player speed and other parameters. It plays nice so far with bots.
I intend to remake at least 2 weapons, the rocket launcher and the machine gun you start with. I will give the level a personal touch with the assets i will make but i intend to keep the mood of the level and dynamic gameplay it offers in Quake.
here's what I've got so far:
wip2ex.jpg
wip1s.jpg
Criticism is really welcome, don't hesitate to say anything no matter how harsh it might sound.
Thank you!

Replies

• Paunescu.Daniel
    I have a question about Pickup Factories for health packs and weapons, do they stand as path nodes for bots or do i have to add some Path Nodes manually on top of them?
    Also are there any rules about laying PathNodes? is there a limit, should I add as many as I can or just a few needed ones?
    Thank you
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, pick-ups, spawn points, etc. work like pathnodes.

You don't need to put them everywhere. I like to place them at intersections, making sure they can "see" each other. Though, normally I don't use pathnodes, but breadcrumb with small health vials.

You can render the paths after building to see them, to make sure bots can get everywhere. I'm not sure if there's a limit, but you probably don't need many for this simple layout.
  • Leodido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey great, I loved this level as well :)
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    thanks a lot for you responses!
    I will come up with some modeling WIPs soon
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Best quake 3 map ever. Maybe best map ever!!
    You rock for making this :)
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    Classic, probably my most played Q3A map
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    i used to play this map a lot not knowing that so many people like it, it has something special to it. Probably the fact that there's no hiding in this map and its size make it so dynamic, fast paced and fun :D
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Oh the memory's that come back seeing this.

Can't wait to see the finished result ^^
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I look forward to seeing this progress! So many memories on this map!
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    made a draft ground texture
    wip5p.jpgwip4v.jpg
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    Got 2 questions:
    1) I want to play with the damage of the weapons, where should i start?
    2) When i shoot a bot the "bullet" is pretty precise, I'm not sure but i think shot a bot between his legs or something like that, how can i make the Bot's hit volume larger? basically i want to make aiming a little easier?

and a texture update:
    wip6i.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    All that stuff is in unreal script. I don't work with it, but those sound like simple modifications. I would, however, disagree with making the bots easier to hit. They are already easy enough to slaughter as it is.
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    I agree with you but i want to make it feel more like Quake :D I am playing the map in Quake and then in UDK and i can feel this difference. I could compensate by increasing the bots skills/intelligence a bit.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    as much as i loved this map, i think it would be cool to see bigger changes to shapes of those platforms. at least they could be made less blocky.

at the moment it looks like it's going to be the same thing but with modern textures and high res props.
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    I intend to add decorative meshes and decals to make it look less blocky and to break the tiling, I can see too that its an issue right now.
    Also i intend to play with the lightning of the scene, while in Quake there was some sort of uniform lightning used i want to light it up with spotlights pretty much like an arena would be lit
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I'd prefer to see slick and simple shapes,no decorative prop noise.Since the game is quite fast-paced,some props might block the players while moving.Could use much more polys at the edges of the trim pieces.That would get rid of bsp cut appearance.Overall variety can be done by the advances of mesh painting.And apparently you're good enough to pull off that.

There could be something different for the background rather then just pitch black space,just a thought.Maybe that's too early for think about that.

Great project man,respects.
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I don't intend to flood the map with detail considering that my computer can't handle to much anyway but i most certainly don't like the flat edges of the platforms.

You mentioned the background, I don't know what to do with it yet, maybe a star field, maybe a planet or something, I know that in the Quake Live version of the map there is a planet under the map. I am open for any suggestions!
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Depending on if you don't mind cliches... Lava at the bottom? Would give you a good excuse to have red-orange light from below. Surrounding area could be active volcano? Could either be inside the volcano or above the opening so you can have a cool vista plus lava light.
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    Cool idea, but i always thought of this map as being in space, and besides i don't wanna complicate things to much :D
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've wasted thousands of hours in this map doing 1v1. I think it's awesome you try to make it in UDK.

You definitely need this map to be in space. Get inspiration from the quake live one, a planet or moon far away would look awesome. Or if you can get yourself some screenshot of the dreamcast's version(didnt find any), it was a background filled with beautiful purple stars if I remember well, and it was helping with the gameplay a bit, cause we didnt see the opponent so well from far away cause there were so many stars...Oh and in the dreamcast version when you were falling of the edge there was not a killing volume at the bottom like the PC version, you were teleported back on the map in some kind of purple wormhole, this could be awesome to do ;) but maybe you want to concentrate on the environment.

I also think your scale is off... the characters are a bit too small in the map...look at some gameplay of this map and try to find de right scale...good luck!
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    i have Quake 3 up and running and the scale seems pretty close.I think it looks to large because there are no props in the scene, everything is empty, I will be able to fix the scale after i populate it with some props, anyway thanks for pointing it out!

Also i have a question, its just an idea that came to me: Is there a way to pull the Score value from the game into the material editor and have it displayed on a screen, in the level? Just the player's score (how many bots you killed). It won't add drastic changes but it would be a fancy addition.
  • Fartuess
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's just a enviro or whole map? If you want to create a map then i recommend doing it on standard UT3 since it has all weapons and some players. If you're just playing gameplay related stuff inside UDK, then i recommend trying a bit with navmeshes since it is more modern technique. Not sure though how it will handle abstract level design.
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    I am focusing on the environment but I do want to fool around with technical side of things, a little kismet scripting, and maybe some minor class editing if needed, so i will stick to UDK but thanks for the suggestion!
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    Started working on the JumpPad high poly, mainly done, still need to add more detail and engine-ish parts to it
    wip7e.jpg