Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unity - Hand painted Dungeon

We started looking into Unity at work (mobile games developer, VisualDreams) and I thought that I would try to get up to speed with it by doing a simple hand painted dungeon. Diffuse and lightmaps only.

I just started creating some simple tiles and textures. There are some lightmap seams and since I haven't made something for the backsides you can see through the walls but I thought of adding some simple black tiles to fix that.

I will probably need some cubemap or background elements as well..

screenshot2.png
screenshot3.png
screenshot4.png

The Tiles
Tiles.png

I will need to work on the textures a bit and add more to the Dungeon but I am already quite in love with Unity and the simple lightmap system.

Replies

• JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    I've not used Unity much but I'm thinking if each one of those floor tiles is a single mesh you're throwing hundreds of draw calls at drawing a few hundred floor tiles which on mobile platforms is one of the things most at a premium.
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild wrote: »
    I've not used Unity much but I'm thinking if each one of those floor tiles is a single mesh you're throwing hundreds of draw calls at drawing a few hundred floor tiles which on mobile platforms is one of the things most at a premium.

Unity utilises static batching meaning that all meshes that are static and uses the same material is batched into one drawcall. The scene isn't optimized, I could throw all textures into one atlas at this moment but since I'm not sure how many props will be added etc this will be done later, but It never climbs above 15 drawcalls.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Ah ok that's pretty cool. I recalled hearing of problems with the default skybox taking up six so I assumed it didn't do that, but then again each side might have its own texture in that case which makes static batching impossible.

Looks good!
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah ok that's pretty cool. I recalled hearing of problems with the default skybox taking up six so I assumed it didn't do that, but then again each side might have its own texture in that case which makes static batching impossible.

Looks good!

Hmm.. Yeah that is probably true since they use six different texture for each face. Could probably be solved by mapping and exporting your own cubemap wih all faces in one texture.

Thanks :) I'm working on some background areas and how to solve "fog" in the backgrounds without using fog. Fog eats fillrate like crazy on mobiles so I have to figure something out.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking pretty cool. Are you planning anything in particular or is it just texture practice?
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking pretty cool. Are you planning anything in particular or is it just texture practice?

Practicing textures and tileable meshes while also getting up to speed in Unity. But also I have always wanted to make a cool dungeon :P
  • Dysengaged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks really good
    loving the tileable painted textures

Overall looking good, looking forward to seeing more of your work :)
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18

true but thats still slower than pre merging them in your 3d app i did extensive benchmarking and performance wise:

pre merged in max/may > combine children script > static batching > dynamic batching
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm.. Batching does require a overhead so that is true. The con of merging is less reusability of tiles.

Maybe if I merged sections, that would probably speed up level creation as well. Floors and walls would be sections while props are staticly batched to be able to variate the sections.

How much slower was combine children script than pre merged?
    warby wrote: »
    true but thats still slower than pre merging them in your 3d app i did extensive benchmarking and performance wise:

pre merged in max/may > combine children script > static batching > dynamic batching
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't really got that much time but worked on some meshes for holes in the walkway and threw in some placeholder pillars..

Got to write a shader for using vertex alpha to fade out background pillars since fading them with fog is to expensive..

screenshot1.png