Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alien inspired scene WiP

uk_resistant
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
I wanted to do some sci fi stuff for my portfolio so I looked at the first alien film as a spring board.

Still plenty I want to do but I thought fresh eyes will do me good.

To do list

-Add more clutter and sticky out parts (maybe a steam vent)

-add light sources

-play with all the specular values.

The shot is a screengrab from maya viewpoint 2.O with some photoshop post
including the bloom effect and the slight depth blur.
XdnlA.jpg

The yellow light is a siren light and so will rotate in video, once the scene is done.

Cheers!

Replies

• XaKu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XaKu polycounter lvl 9
    Lookin good! My only crit would be the large decal / text thing on the wall, is that meant to be a light or something? if so it needs alot more bloom on it - if not it needs toning down to match the wall behind it :)
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The decal is supposed to be a light. I want to grunge it up a bit but yeah, def needs brightning - cheers Xaku :)
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates!

I redid the cables using Ndo, which was pretty quick to do.
    Did some normal map clean ups and also added some detail in the way of monitors to the deck 4 sign.

A friend correctly said that I should get some fog in there, so that's on the todo list as well as more sticky out bits as mentioned before.

*Edit* Forgot to mention, I know the blue lights dont seem to be projecting much light, i'm saving the lighting refinement for UDK.

work_progress_latest_3.jpg
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now with added UDK.
    First time getting a scene into UDK, been quite fun.
    Still working out some bits, such as part of the celling having odd shading due to my normal map.
    UDK_latest_2.jpg
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anotehr update, just been fixing some things.
    Added a door at the end (of which il provide better shots of later) and added some red lighting at the end as well as the blue glow.

flynn.jpg
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update of various things I want to tweak, including adding some clutter in the form of crates. I played around with steam clouds but couldn't get a effect i like so i will read up more on particles tomorrow.

Getting close to finishing this off now.
    latest_update_.jpg

latest_update_2.jpg

Cheers
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my latest.
    Upped the contrast of the lighting more and reduced the fog. Tinted the deck 4 light sign to a more yellow, def works better now.
    Desaturated a bit and added some post process colouring too, should make the scene tie together more.

In this shot I have taken out the emissive off the spinning light - the actual light model is there still however. This lends itself to a darker area mid range.

Also just noticed that I accidently deleted the hanging pipes that were at the back. will re add them
    FLYNNLATEST-2.jpg
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I would post the completed scene.
    Glad to be done!

940x528.jpeg
    940x528.jpeg
    940x528.jpeg
    940x520.jpeg
  • Vulgertarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like this scene. The dark alienishness about it. The blurry effect on the emissive maps still look too strong tho in some areas like the bluish lights overhead and I can't quite make out the yellow object on the floor. The wall on the left looks a bit too rainbow. Maybe stick to only 2 colors? I know you said its done, but thought i'd throw in my 2 cents. I really do like the overall feel :)